Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

May 8th, 2011 06:00

alienware aurora r2 help me lock ups are killer

I don't know what to do. My Alienware Aurora R2 is acting so strange. For days it has taken extremely long times to load anything, from web browsers to notepad. I have cleaned my registry, defragged the harddrive to no luck, I even did a clean reinstall of windows 7 64bit even with a complete wipe of the old pertition and reinstalling from scratch. After the reinstall I made sure to get all my drivers up to date but the problem still persists, all scans from AVG to TuneUP Utilities shows no problem so I can only think harddrive. Im pretty computer savvy and just want to fix this and get my computer back to being a fast gaming rig. Right now it takes anywhere from 2 to 3 minutes to open avg or tuneup and only slightly less to open google chrome. Any help would be most appreciated and ask me anything about the computer you need to know. I hope someone can help me.
-Sam

EDIT: also now it will just lock up on the desk top and sputter for no reason

757 Posts

May 8th, 2011 09:00

Try this:

Administrative tools / System Config / Startup Tab

Deselect everything except your AVG internet security and restart.

You can also:

Administrative tools / services

look for the same programs and ensure only the most current one is active, For example you may have both Microsoft .net framwork v2.0 and v4.0 Make sure v2.0 shows disabled if you have more recent ones installed. Click on the name bar at the top to make sure everything is listed in alphabetic order.

You can go thru a number of these services and change from automatic to manual or even disable them altogether if you know you don't use it, like "routing and remote access" or acronis NON stop Backup service, or if you don't use bluetooth you can disable Bluetooth support service. Another one is to stop Google update service.

Just do a few at a time and make note. Restart and then access that particular program. If the program starts then OK, if it fails to start, go back and restore its particular service. An example of this was when I stopped Acronis scheduler and tried to copy my drive. I received an error message and had to restore its setting.

One last suggestion:

internet properties / Browsing history-settings

then increase the Disk spaced used to the max number recommended.

757 Posts

May 9th, 2011 10:00

Here is another site to help.

http://support.microsoft.com/fixit/?sd=dell

No Events found!