Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

May 27th, 2011 05:00

alienware/dell nvidiadriver and punkbuster

Got my alienware m14x the other day and was so happy! even came preinstalled with steam! so when i logged onto steam and trying to join punkbusterenabled servers on cod2 i kept getting kicked! 

sent a ticket to evenbalanse. here is what they wrote http://i1107.photobucket.com/albums/h384/tytass/EvenBalanceTechnicalSupport-UpdateaTroubleTicket.png

so tried to update my drivers at nvidia.com and was sent to dell site for updates! turns out i got the latest drivers! 

Now, the thing that amazes me the most is that when you buy a gaming laptop you should be able to play games with it, especially since steam is one of the most used gaming portals! 

q: how long will it take to get problem free nvidiadriver for my laptop! just wondering, since im not able to play atm!

erlend

May 27th, 2011 06:00

Nope! works on my other pc! why should it cause problems on alienware? In addition evenbalance points out the nvidia drivers as a cause!

57 Posts

May 27th, 2011 06:00

You must disable the Steam Overlay (Steam in-game browser/chat) in Punkbuster-enabled games since Even Balance has blacklisted it.

57 Posts

May 27th, 2011 07:00

Yea, no. The disallowed program/driver is the message received when you use the Steam Overlay with a Punkbuster enabled game. It's a pretty common issue and their support group is probably just giving some standard advice that's to address a wide range of issues.

Here's one of many threads about the issue:  forums.steampowered.com/.../showthread.php

So, to progress any further, do you have the Steam Overlay enabled for this game? Yes/No

May 27th, 2011 16:00

no ofc not!

No Events found!