Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

August 31st, 2017 18:00

alienware m17 gtx 780m driver not working

I recently discovered that my alienware m17 2015 is using the integrated graphics card rather than its discrete video card which is NVIDIA gtx 780m. When I look at device manager the video card driver has an exclamation point beside it saying "Windows has stopped this device because it has reported problems. (Code 43)". I researched more on the issue and found out the error was pretty vague so I tried following a bunch of solutions I saw online.

These are the steps I have done so far:

1. I tried switching from the builtin video card to the discrete graphics card using FN + F5 (I/D GFX) hotkey but to no avail does it work.

2. I first tried checking my bios if the discrete video card is detected and it displays Nvidia gtx in the discrete video card area so it must still be detecting the hardware.

3. I tried the alienware diagnostics tool by pressing f12 on boot and and running the diagnostic. The results show that everything is working since the results showed success on each test.

4. I tried using a video card driver uninstaller to completely clean the previous trails from the past driver I had and installed the latest graphics card compatible to the gtx 780m but it is still showing that warning and everytime I install a new driver from geforce experience or manually from the site it prompts me to install a new one therefore not detecting the recently installed driver.

5. I tried reformatting my laptop and installing the driver first thing after installing windows 10 but it still does not work.

6. I tried rerolling to an older version of a compatible video card driver

7. Doing a system restore using a previous backup image I had before.

8. I opened up my laptop and cleaned it thoroughly replacing the thermal paste for the cpu and gpu

9. I tried some driver detection tools wherein some did not work at all and some was able to install a video card driver but cause my alienware to enter a bluescreen mode or hang.

10. I tried reflashing the bios to A14 which is the latest version compatible for my motherboard. 

I tried all the solutions I have found so far online but none seemed to work for me. I would like to know if anyone out there has encountered the same problem. Do I still have a chance with my video card or does it have to be completely replaced? I would want to buy an alienware graphics amplifier but sadly it is not compatible with my model since I do not have the ports for it.

Here is the details regarding my system:

System Model: Alienware 17 2015

BIOS: InsydeH20 Version 03.73.02A14

Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-4700MQ CPU @ 2.40GHz (8 CPU), ~2.4GHz

Memory: 16384MB RAM

DirectX Version: DirectX12

Display: Inter(R) HD Graphics 4600

Discrete Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 780M

3 Posts

September 1st, 2017 21:00

deeds0l
Here is a suggestion, I've heard of this issue before, The GeForce Website has older previous versions of their drivers, possibly try to download an older driver, I read through your description and didn't happen to see if you tried that. Sorry if you had attempted this process. Here is a link of a possible Driver to use "Drivers | GeForce"

AWCarter

3 Posts

September 3rd, 2017 08:00

Thanks for trying to help but I have tried going back to an older version of the driver that is windows 10 64 bit compatible since the window 8 drivers wont work

No Events found!