Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

April 15th, 2017 19:00

area 51 r2 fans loud at start up

hello , we have the alienware area 51 r2 with three kettle plug psu 1500 watt , i7 5930k , 32 gb ram and nvidia 1080 with latest A11 bios.

problem is when we shut down the computer and leave the plug in the electric socket if we push the power button on after waiting 1 minute the computer boots up with all the fans running at max speed for 5 seconds like this video which is very very upsetting :

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=vjyHWWExawU

when we take the plug out the electric socket and plug it back in then press the power button on the pc turns on quietly as should. also when we select in shut off options to sleep instead of shut down then press the power button on the pc starts from sleep quietly.

can alienware please please investigate this issue and fix it in the bios A12 that the computer turns on quietly without fans running at max speed when computer has shut down with plug in mains socket and turned back on

April 16th, 2017 01:00

Hi.

have you tried to reset the BIOS Settings? sometimes it does wonders.

i don't believe they did it on purpose. those Fans should never run at full speed. they are extremely loud. it is ridiculous even for high end PC.

April 16th, 2017 11:00

this is a unique problem. one of the sensors sends wrong data causing the Fans spin at 100%. did you notice something odd in the Command Center? do all sensors show normal temps? last time i pulled the Battery my HDD sensor decided to go nuts and reported constantly 102 C!. my PCIe Fan went crazy. i ended up pulling the Battery again.

i spend 40 minutes trying to recreate the error from your video. i tried different Fan settings but everything is working as it should. but there is definitely something wrong with the Fan Control. my A51s Auto Fan Control didn't work on BIOS A10. after Update to A11 it's working again. let's see for how long.

April 16th, 2017 11:00

yes we tried reseting bios settings same result  this is very ridiculous and upsetting

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

April 16th, 2017 12:00

Compared to MIO-Board in older Area51-R1 (and Aurora R1-R4) ... the MIO-board in the Area51-R2 is a more minimalistic design. But that is ok, because by-design, it's a different architecture.

However, I think it still might have a NV-Ram (ie flash memory) settings that are used at boot time (as UEFI BIOS Posts). These appear to be un-set on your machine, causing fans to run at 100% for a while on initial power-on.

I suggest you change some settings in ALL parts of Command Center and save them. They should also be saved to any NV-Ram and/or micro-controllers present.

And just a general thing ... like AAA737flyer‌ says, connect Area51-R2 directly to wall or "always on" true UPS unit (ie APC). Keep AC-Power going to machine's Power-Supply at all times. For general use, only use the off/on button on the front of Area51-R2 itself. This tip applies to all Alienware desktops.

Another tip for all Alienware Desktops experiencing strange MIO-Board/Command Center behavior is ... you can try turning off Windows-10 Fast Startup.

757 Posts

It appears you have the computer plugged into a power "strip" which also has four or five other devices plugged into it. You may not have a clean power source or are drawing too many amps at one time, or the power strip itself is failing, or any combination.

I would suggest you only plug the computer into one line (socket) with no other power draws and see if the startup behaves better. When in sleep mode the computer isn't completely shut down so the power draw initially may be less at startup allowing a normal start. Or you may have already suffered damage to the computer due to the power strip.

In any case whether this may be the issue, a power strip isn't the best solution. You may want to look into an APC battery backup surge protector system that can regulate the power to your system if the house hold power supply isn't clean. The APC system will be a better solution for protection from surges as power strips degrade within a few years and will not protect anything even though there is no indication the strip has failed.

https://www.cnet.com/news/9-things-you-should-know-about-surge-protectors/

https://www.google.com/search?q=apc+battery+back+up+and+surge+protection&ie=&oe=#spf=1

see?

and if i bring up bad power source theory in front of my friends they call me crazy and start arguing and insist that there is something wrong elsewhere.

@ john-kimball44. please try this. i want to see if it helps.

April 16th, 2017 15:00

All friends many thx for your responses, we are supported by experts here

can you please give us help in what settings to change in alienware command center etc?

we do have the computer plugged in to a plug strip by belkin exact model:

www.ebuyer.com/663059-belkin-4-outlet-surge-strip-2m-bsv400af2m?mkwid=sWA3N2WiH_dc&pcrid=51630194939&pkw=&pmt=&gclid=CNyVwZ__qdMCFYI4GwodvUECrw

but it is also plugged in a two socket plug first then in the strip, will try putting the plug directly in the plug strip then try shutting down with plug in and turning it on.

April 16th, 2017 16:00

tried putting plug directly in to wall socket same issue

757 Posts

April 17th, 2017 00:00

Were all the other plugs from other devices still plugged in to the same line drawing power from the same circuit when you restarted the computer? Regardless of the cause of this issue you still have a lot of devices plugged into one circuit drawing power and with no protection.

You might try a Power Drain:

https://community.dell.com/videos/1029-alienware-how-to-do-a-power-drain

You should try Tesla's suggestion of recreating a new Command Center profile as well or create one if you have not done so already.

April 17th, 2017 02:00

will try recreating a new command center profile

April 17th, 2017 03:00

power drain is a good idea. i see AAA737flyer totaly got this here. so have fun guys.

757 Posts

April 17th, 2017 17:00

This link will help you setup CC.

Alienware Command Center Quick Guide | Dell US 

The power strip/surge protector you listed will not protect your system. The first and only review sums up the usefulness of that particular product.

What you have will after one power surge degrade rapidly if not fail all together. You will never know this as there is no indication provided. You will think that the tripping of the "CB" has saved the day, and may have, but the component inside has been destroyed or severely damaged in the process of protecting your system. Even after a few years with no adverse power interruptions the product deteriates and needs to be replaced. The cheaper versions, similar to what you have, have been known to catch fire. Once the protective component is damaged it can no longer absorb the surge and heats up to the point of ignition. Newer and more expensive products have resolved the fire hazard by encapsulating the surge component but I don't see this tech listed in it's specs.

You need to research how to better protect your investment. I know it is an added expense but well worth the cost considering how much you have already invested. Don't save 200 and lose several thousand.

Your issue has been going on since at least last December. Not sure how long you have until your warranty is up but your next best bet is to contact support.

April 17th, 2017 19:00

we have tried putting the belkin power strip plug in the other socket and seems to have worked. but we only tried it with two shut down tries. we also used another power strip extension with the computer plug in the strip by itself with no other plugs and worked five times in a row. think power strip is the culprit but need more tries to confirm. it did the same thing when we replaced the psu with a evga one. which surge protector is best to buy within $100-$200 ?

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

April 17th, 2017 20:00

john-kimball44 wrote:

. which surge protector is best to buy within $100-$200 ?

For Area51-R2 with 1500w Power Supply ... I would recommend this UPS. I have two of them (one for each system). It will also handle your monitor, etc. Everything in your whole system should be connected to it.

APC Back-UPS Pro 1500VA UPS Battery Backup & Surge Protector (BR1500G)                              

No Events found!