Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

February 3rd, 2014 12:00

dual monitor dvi problem

I had two monitors hooked up to my alienware computer vga ports and they worked. Then one day someone pushed the computer against the wall and broke off the vga adapter of the second monitor along with wires that attached it to the board in the computer. We had a cable that appears to be a DVI cable that plugs into the second monitor and the computer. When I right click screen resolution and click the detect button I get the message that another display not detected. There are several buttons on the monitor that appear to select the input. I've tried pressing each one but nothing results in the monitor being detected.

February 3rd, 2014 14:00

Unless you test the component and see that it does work, you can't (in troubleshooting) make the asumption that it does.  Besides, you are using a different input.

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

February 5th, 2014 14:00

Please post computer make and model. Also pics of computer back and inside cards.

Never seen a 2009-2014 Alienware desktop config-ed like you are describing.

February 3rd, 2014 12:00

Sounds like you may have damaged the video card. Do you have another computer you can test the monitor with to ensure that it is working?

If the monitor is working but the computer does not recognize it, the next logical step is to replace the video card.

Is this unit under warranty?

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

pushed the computer against the wall and broke off the vga adapter of the second monitor along with wires that attached it to the board in the computer. 

With this kind of damage, I would try a different video card.

Obviously, the monitor, it's Input, and cable have to be tested first.

... what Chris said ... 

3 Posts

No the warranty expired. I know the monitor works because it worked before.

3 Posts

February 5th, 2014 10:00

You're right that I have to test the monitor and I plan to do that if I can get hold of another computer with a dvi output.  It appears that the DVI is a separate card from the vga so I don't think damaging the vga card should have damaged the DVI card.  I say that because they are separate slots in the back of the computer.

No Events found!