Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

D

September 11th, 2017 22:00

graphics amplifier psu noise and throttle

installed new graphics amp yesterday, with (maxwell) gtx titan x. all good until 3D heavy apps are run. the amp starts making a rapid clicking noise and performance throttles.

the laptop (13 r3 OLED) performs flawlessly on its own.

any ideas please guys?

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

September 13th, 2017 04:00

Power supply in the amplifier is too small.

September 13th, 2017 05:00

cheers for the response, but somehow doubt that the claimed 460W in the amplifier isn't enough. the titan x is also listed as supported gpu: Alienware Graphics Amplifier: Supported Graphics Card List | Dell US 

at any rate, i'm going to test it with a new psu tonight. the little problem is the psu i have is 750W so i won't know for sure whether the amplifier's psu isn't enough or it's simply doa.

September 13th, 2017 08:00

alright, I tested for this issue connecting the amplifier to a 750W psu - no noise, no throttling. is my amplifier's psu busted or is its 460W just not enough to run the titan x?

yep, looks like the route I shall have to take.

cheers guys for all your responses!

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

Looks like an easy swap to me.

Alienware Graphics Amplifier with 600w PSU - YouTube 

Alienware Graphics Amplifier PSU upgrade (what to look for on a new PSU) - YouTube 

Mid to high-end Corsairs are good .... nice, high-amp 12v outputs. Antecs are fairly standard these days, but seem dependable over the years. Maybe they have a performance series too.

No Events found!