Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

October 9th, 2012 19:00

i think i down graded my grafix card when i tryed to download new driver

hey i was trying to upgrade my grafix drivers and i think i down graded my grafix card  

i was looking at some of the new games that where coming out and I saw that i could not run one but when i checked i had the same grafix card as the one they where suggesting and a friend told me try upgrading your drivers. 

my grafix card was ati mobility radeon 5870 but when i installed the driver it went down to 5800 series

im confused of why this would happen i downloaded the latest driver for the radeon 5870 and then it was went down to 5800 

i try to download the 5870 series again but when i tryed to install it said that my grafix card was 5800 and could not install drivers 

im hoping that someone can give me a hand ive looked on the internet for solutions but i cant realy find someone with the save problem as me 

any help would be deeply appreciated  sorry for spelling mistakes 

Alex.

2.6K Posts

October 10th, 2012 01:00

Hello Alex,

I would suggest doing a clean re-installation of the video drivers.
Please follow the steps mentioned below.

-- Uninstall the Catalyst Control Center from the Program and Features.
       1. Click on start.
       2. Click on Control Panel.
       3. Program and Features.
       4. Uninstall every program related to ATI Catalyst Control Center.

-- Delete the folder named Video from the Dell Drivers Folder.
       1.  Click on Start.
       2.  Click on Computers.
       3.  Open the C Drive.
       4.  Open the Folder named Dell.
       5.  Open the Folder named Drivers.
       6.  Delete the Folder named Video.

-- Uninstall the Video Drivers from the Device manager.
Start -> Control Panel -> Device Manager -> Display Adapters (Right Click and uninstall the ATI Radeon 5870 ).

Please do check in the startup items as well, if there is anything related to ATI Catalyst Control Center. Disable it.
Start -> Run -> MSCONFIG -> Start Up.
Restart the computer.

-- Download and Install the latest video drivers from the following link:
http://www.dell.com/support/drivers/us/en/19/DriversHome/NeedProductSelection?
-- Enter the service tag.
-- Choose the Operating System.
-- Download and Install the latest drivers for ATI Radeon 5870.
-- Restart the computer and check the functionality

Please try the steps and post the results, would be glad to help you further.

835 Posts

October 10th, 2012 09:00

Hi,

Your video card was not downgraded, no need to worry about that, the driver is general for the 5800 series and that's why it shows up like that on the device manager (that's what windows picks up), but that is only the software part. There are a couple of things you can do to confirm that the graphics card running is still the 5870:

Download and run GPU-Z, this program will show you the exact graphics card you have.

Run AlienAutopsy, the PC-Check will let you know what hardware components are currently installed in your system.

66 Posts

October 10th, 2012 04:00

The 5870 is a 5800 series card.  I have the 6870 and mine says 6800 series.  I don't think this is a problem.

2.6K Posts

October 10th, 2012 08:00

Hi, 

I would request you to help me with a couple of details to help you in better way.
-- What system Model is it?
-- From where have you installed the drivers?
Please write back to us would be glad to assist you further.  

6 Posts

October 10th, 2012 10:00

ok i think this may have worked my grafix card now says that it is a 5870 thanks very much

6 Posts

yeah after i installed the newest driver it was set back to 5870 so i think it might be good now

thanks for the help

6 Posts

yeah i belive i have it now i used ur program and it now says that im using 5870 now

first time i scaned it thought it said that i was using the 5800 and now it said that im running the 5870 after i installed the driver thanks for the help

6 Posts

thanks guys for the help really appreciate it

good luck guys

Alex  

6 Posts

my laptop model is the alienware m17x i have had it for about two years now

i installed the driver from the dell website.

No Events found!