Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

February 13th, 2013 22:00

i7-3820 cores parked.

I have read a little about cores of a processor being parked, but don't understand what it is and how it effects the speed if any. I can go into my resource monitor and it shows cores 1, 3, 5  and 7 being parked.I have put the computer under a heavy load while watching the processor with CPU-Z and can see it going to 4.1 and one time 4.2 so it doesn't seem to bother speed in that sense. I also read an article that says with those cores being parked the processor runs cooler and uses less power. Just curious about the pros and cons of the parked cores.

February 14th, 2013 09:00

Hi Wayne,

The CPU Parking is a feature of multi-core/SMP systems that disables cores when the system load is low. This reduces the heat and power usage. Additionally, parking CPUs can potentially reduce core thrashing

445 Posts

February 14th, 2013 09:00

Thank you Kanndy. I was sure there was a good reason for parking the cores and you explained it well.

1 Message

May 21st, 2013 14:00

i am using a xps 15 (8 core with i7 cpu booster and monitor) Hi when i game i want all eight of my  cpu to be on. I have tried reg-edit and change the value from 64 to 0 but when ever i restart my computer all 4/8 cores are parked and i am finding this's an annoying situation. 

Today i backed up the pc and did a factory restore and failed at unparking the cpu again. Can the cpu be unparked ?

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

May 21st, 2013 15:00

i am using a xps 15 (8 core with i7 cpu booster and monitor) Hi when i game i want all eight of my  cpu to be on. I have tried reg-edit and change the value from 64 to 0 but when ever i restart my computer all 4/8 cores are parked and i am finding this's an annoying situation. 

Today i backed up the pc and did a factory restore and failed at unparking the cpu again. Can the cpu be unparked ?

Set Win7 Power Profile to "High Performance"

Install this Gadget:

http://addgadgets.com/all_cpu_meter/

Run Prime95

What happens with cores?

No Events found!