Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

July 6th, 2010 16:00

m11x horror story, and poor support.

I purchased an Alienware m11x computer less than three months ago, and at this moment in time, I am having a number of problems with it and customer support has been a nightmare.

About three weeks ago, the left hinge of my computer started creaking when I opened the computer, and popped out of place by about half an inch when closing the screen. This did not bother me.

One week ago, however, the hinge that was creaking snapped. Now there is a gap in the hinge, and it looks like it can break at any moment. This was not due to anything I had done; it was caused primarily due to a structural fault in this make and model of laptop.

I contacted customer support to report that my hinge was broken and sent them a picture of what had happened. They sent out a replacement LCD display. When the technician went to install it on my computer, the screen looked like someone had rubbed steel wool over a good portion of it - there were gouges, and portions of the screen seemed so bad that they would be un-seeable should the screen be installed.

I had that screen sent back - it is unacceptable for a computer that was purchased in late April. Upon receiving the other screen, the technician came to install it - and found that he could not. He mentioned that something along the lines of the keyboard ribbon connector - something like that - was faulty. It had looked like it was forced in there, and if he were to try and move it - a necessary step to fix the screen - that the motherboard would need to be replaced.

I called in, and come to find out I need four parts replaced due to this faulty laptop. The bottom chassis has become damaged due to the faulty hinge, and the indicator bar cover is faulty as well. Also I would need a new motherboard due to the very strong likelihood of this one breaking when my hinge is to be repaired.

My palm rest is also damaged, yet due to me not knowing that until later, I have not re-ordered that yet.

The parts they are sending me are all going to be refurbished parts. For a machine that is less than three months old, this is completely unacceptable. I paid close to one and a half thousand dollars for what I hope is a good name. Many people I know have heard well of both Dell and Alienware, and I do not wish to be let down.

There is no reason for it to be so faulty through no fault of my own. As well, the support center seems to view turning my computer into a Frankenstein's Monster-esque conglomeration of new and refurbished parts as acceptable - everyone I have spoken to of this does not.

I purchased this less than three months ago. I feel dissatisfied that within this time, I am essentially going to have a used machine. This is unacceptable so far. I spent extra for the name. And yet I'm getting a cobbled together monstrosity less than three months in.

If this is how Alienware treats its customers, I think I might not get another one. Or Dell for that matter. This is ludicrous.

24 Posts

July 6th, 2010 22:00

Donta you keep typing the same thing in many different threads regarding Sager / Clevo based machines.  Its true at one time they were the design mastermind behind Alienware computers and they still are for many of the smaller gaming boutique companies (like Origin & Falcon).  For companies like HP (Voodoo or whats left of it... Envy) & Dell (Alienware) they dont need Clevo/Sager and produce their own designs these days.  I personally love the new Alienware looks after they left the Sager / Clevo designs.  Everytime I read your post I swear you come on here just to sell other machines.   Just wanted to clear that up for everyone.  Sorry for continuing to be off topic to the original poster.

30 Posts

July 7th, 2010 01:00

edit

15 Posts

July 7th, 2010 08:00

Y'know, Donta, I'm kinda having a bit of a problem here, so I'd appreciate if you showed your rig off somewhere where it would be on topic. This is completely irrelevant to my discussion.

30 Posts

July 7th, 2010 12:00

Well not here to show off my rig, your going to have to do what I did if you are not getting help or assistance, go to the BBB and your local municipality attorneys office. I had to do this with the notebook I purchased from alienware/dell when they kept sending me refurbished parts with bad caps along with other components and  when I purchased something that was supposed to be brand new. It will take some pushing but all in all it might still not be fixed correctly when you get it back or prone to break again. This is about all you can do. In the end my notebook didnt get fixed correctly after burning more money on shipping even though it was under warranty, I declaired it a lost cause, and a money trap by alienware/dell. Same with the desktop I purchased from them blown caps left and right on 2 motherboards, a stick of ram and a hard drive was lost due to the caps blowing, ended up just buying components and putting them in myself computer still runs today almost five in a half years later.

Just like the case I purchased they tried to sucker me in when the light kit had a short somewhere in it "the day I got it", and wanted me to pay shipping on multiple items.... Luckily at least thier newer displays dont have bad caps as we know yet..... and I used this new alienware/dell display without any issues first thing I got from them that was not borked out of the box..... But like I said go to the  BBB and your local municipality attorneys office if dell/alienware does not fix your issue and you have been trying though email and phone...... but like in my case it may get fixed but on top of it it may not be fixed right and the issue may and or will happen again... leaving you right where you started, but maybe it wont and you will be lucky. Never know to be honest..... All you have to do is read alot of post on these forums and the original alienware forums.

I edited my last post just to not start a flame war.....

15 Posts

July 7th, 2010 13:00

Well, it looked like your signature was pretty much a walking advertisement. Isn't it probably too large for a siggie cap anyways?

Anyhow. I went and messaged a few higher-ups. Got a call today saying they'll send parts out with the technician, and that if these parts are faulty, they'll see about replacing my machine.

If you play nice first and get what you want, excellent. If not? Try higher up the command chain. If that fails, then go to the BBB and the like. :D

40 Posts

July 9th, 2010 02:00

are All that hardware and you only have Photoshop CS3,, what a shame.

No Events found!