Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

September 8th, 2011 20:00

m14x Alien ware Vid driver

Well I bought the new m14x and unfortunately all nvidia drivers are not compatible with the laptop I can only download drivers off dell's website. I called dell and they said basically keep checking the site for new ones and that the card is slightly different and can not use the nvidia ones.

So here I am waiting months for a new one and still no new drivers and new games keep coming out monthly! The last latest driver date is April 21, 2011 for my laptop, this is horrible. I just bought deus ex human revolution, total war shogun 2 and cant even play them without it doing random crashes with no error reports other then the game stopped working. If dell is gonna take the drivers in their own hands they least need to keep up with them or unlock it so we can use the nvidia drivers. So dell when can I expect to see new drivers for my 3gig gt555m graphics card. I spent a lot of money on a gaming laptop and can not game on the games I want to play!

Sincerely, Joe

9 Posts

September 9th, 2011 08:00

I agree 100%. This has been my biggest issue with Alienware systems...they want to make gaming systems but handcuff you on video drivers. I tolerate it on my M17x R3, but would never buy an Alienware desktop because of it.

9 Posts

September 9th, 2011 17:00

We need to get more alien ware users to address this issue so something is done about it. My reports on my laptop are gonna be a detriment to there company unless this is fixed soon. I spent good money on my laptop no reason why i should not be able to game on my gaming laptop! Thanx for the reply sky! Once again can i get some kind of response from a dell employee about above subject matter?

Sincerley, Joe

7 Posts

September 10th, 2011 02:00

I found updated drivers here (not official, but they are working for me):

forum.notebookreview.com/.../602341-modded-info-file-nvidia-280-26-drivers-m18x.html

It is really not true that the card does not work with the "normal" drivers for the GT555M! The Alienware GT555M is just not included in the inf file for the NVIDIA drivers, but with a modified inf file it works on my M14x. With the official Dell M14x drivers I had a lot of problems with an OpenGL application, but the new drivers solved that.

September 11th, 2011 18:00

i havent had no problems with my m14x with 267.21 drivers, but i havent played the games u mentioned.
check out this forums for a 280.26 update driver http://forum.notebookreview.com/alienware-m14x/610391-question-regarding-graphics-driver.html

September 22nd, 2011 13:00

a lots of games do NOT recognize the dedicated GPU!!! ie: GTA4, DEMO PES 2012........

isn't it time to do something , DELL!??!?!?

9 Posts

One thing you can try on those games is to go into the Nvidia Control Panel...then 'Manage 3d settings'...then click on the Program Settings tab. You can add those games to that list and force them to use the Nvidia card. I did it on Dead Island and it helped some slow-down issues I had in that game.

I tried everything my friend!!

I added GTA4 to the list.

I right-clicked and selected RUN WITH HI-PERM GRAPiC PROCESSOR.....

no luck. this OPTIMUS is really flawed. and both NVIDIA and DELL are doing NOTHING to fix this! No driver update!

The gt555 driver are updated but not for the Alienware!!!!!

VERY DISAPPOINTED!

next time bye bye DELL.

ASUS.

9 Posts

September 22nd, 2011 14:00

I know my way around pcs very well and exp the nvidia control panel and still not  getting the job done properly. So do we get responses here from dell? Does dell read these forums for addressed issues as this one and if so why have we not had any responses from dell or fixes?

September 23rd, 2011 12:00

i quote EVERY singol word of skarface!

DELL, WHERE ARE YOU?

The ALIENWAREs are MEANT to be PCs for gamers! But games DO NOT recognize the video card! It's unbelieveable!

9 Posts

October 4th, 2011 21:00

So, can we get some kind of response here dell something?????

34 Posts

October 5th, 2011 03:00

You May need to PM Chris-M directly. Have you tried the latest nVidia drivers? Most of us dont use the Dell drivers as they are out dated. Also try this guide to help uninstll and install nVidia drivers. Its a must.

www.evga.com/.../tm.aspx

October 5th, 2011 05:00

I also Made the "forced, un-official" driver update and something seems NOW going a LITTLE better. But still is a shame that Dell is not releasing any official update. It's not a netbook, we Are talking about an ALIENWARE, a pc MENT for gamers, ergo video drivers Are MANDATORY!!!

215 Posts

October 5th, 2011 06:00

I am running the NVIDIA driver 280.26 on my M14X. I used the attached link from above by quicksilv3r in the past .  It is working fine with all my games.   I would suggest doing that if the driver you currently have is not working properly.   If it works properly and you just want a new driver, then wait until Dell comes up with the new one.    I had to do it because a couple of my games were running really slow using that old driver.  Most games work fine.  So if all your games and applications work fine with the current driver, then leave it as is for now.  

9 Posts

October 5th, 2011 07:00

Anyone with an M17x R3 manage to get some newer drivers to work?

9 Posts

October 5th, 2011 15:00

@ A Victor D  

Ur not understanding the issue. The reason we are posting here is because our alienware models do not allow us to install any video drivers from any website unless its from dell including the nvidia site even tho our cards are nvidia. Anytime we try to install the drivers for our gpu's it says not compatible.

No Events found!