Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

February 22nd, 2014 14:00

m15x Alienfx and microsoft framework.NET

I've spent a while looking over similar issues to mine here but as yet been unable to repair the issue affecting my m15x.

The problem began the other day when running my finger over the touch sensitive buttons at the top of the keyboard.  without thinking I managed to press a whole load in turn and somehow caused those buttons to stop responding.  I continued trying out Fn Fkey combinations to see if I had somehow turned them off (like FN F11 to turn off AlienFX) but no matter what I did I couldn't get them working again.

I then went into the command center to see if I could change the lights.  I was able to once, but after that the touch sensitive lighted zone became unresponsive and that in turn seems to have caused a number of other problems with the laptop.

Symptoms include:

An unknown USB device in the device manager.  Uninstalling the command center does not seem to remove this unknown device (I have followed the guide for reinstalling the command center- although some of the registry entries on the guide were not on my machine).  

After the initial lock up of the touchpad I tried to uninstall the command center using the Add/ remove programs feature.  This brought up a corrupted Microsoft framework.NET window (as there was no writing in the window, it was just whited out).  I closed that window and continued the uninstall following the guide, but the unknown USB device still exists and the lighting now will not change at all.  In addition, I get a microsoft framework.NET error whenever I turn on or turn off my laptop now.  I can get rid of this message on startup and shutdown by uninstalling the command center, but I would like to be able to reinstall the command center if at all possible so I can change the FX.

The Touch sensitive keys work  again now after a restart, but they cannot be changed colour in the command center.  I believe this is where the initial problem came from- somehow they have locked up the current "theme".  It's worth noting that even though I uninstalled the command center and the suggested registry elements associated, the laptop remains in the lighting configuration it was in when the problems arose.  

IT gives me the message:

"The device you have selected is included in the current theme but AlienFX cannot detect this device on your system.  Do you want to remove this device from the current theme?"

Here is the message from the Microsoft Framework dialogue box:

See the end of this message for details on invoking

just-in-time (JIT) debugging instead of this dialog box.

************** Exception Text **************

System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.

at AlienLabs.AlienFX.Controller.LightsZoneController.SupportChangeBrightness()

at AlienLabs.AlienFX.Controller.ControllerMainForm.configureTrayIconContextMenu()

at AlienLabs.AlienFX.Controller.ControllerMainForm.initializeTrayIcon()

at AlienLabs.AlienFX.Controller.ControllerMainForm.controllerMainFormLoad(Object sender, EventArgs e)

at System.Windows.Forms.Form.OnLoad(EventArgs e)

at System.Windows.Forms.Form.OnCreateControl()

at System.Windows.Forms.Control.CreateControl(Boolean fIgnoreVisible)

at System.Windows.Forms.Control.CreateControl()

at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WmShowWindow(Message& m)

at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WndProc(Message& m)

at System.Windows.Forms.ScrollableControl.WndProc(Message& m)

at System.Windows.Forms.ContainerControl.WndProc(Message& m)

at System.Windows.Forms.Form.WmShowWindow(Message& m)

at System.Windows.Forms.Form.WndProc(Message& m)

at AlienLabs.AlienFX.Controller.ControllerMainForm.WndProc(Message& m)

at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.OnMessage(Message& m)

at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.WndProc(Message& m)

at System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.Callback(IntPtr hWnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam)

************** Loaded Assemblies **************

mscorlib

Assembly Version: 2.0.0.0

Win32 Version: 2.0.50727.5477 (Win7SP1GDR.050727-5400)

CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.NET/Framework/v2.0.50727/mscorlib.dll

----------------------------------------

AlienwareAlienFXController

Assembly Version: 1.0.92.0

Win32 Version: 1.0.92.0

CodeBase: file:///C:/Program%20Files/Alienware/Command%20Center/AlienwareAlienFXController.exe

AlienwareAlienFXTools

CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/assembly/GAC_MSIL/AlienwareAlienFXTools/1.0.92.0__bebb3c8816410241/AlienwareAlienFXTools.dll

Alienlabs.CommandCenter.Tools

CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/assembly/GAC_MSIL/Alienlabs.CommandCenter.Tools/1.0.92.0__bebb3c8816410241/Alienlabs.CommandCenter.Tools.dll

System.Windows.Forms

Win32 Version: 2.0.50727.5468 (Win7SP1GDR.050727-5400)

CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Windows.Forms/2.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Windows.Forms.dll

System

Win32 Version: 2.0.50727.5467 (Win7SP1GDR.050727-5400)

CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System/2.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.dll

System.Drawing

Win32 Version: 2.0.50727.5467 (Win7SP1GDR.050727-5400)

CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Drawing/2.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/System.Drawing.dll

AlienLabsTools

CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/assembly/GAC_MSIL/AlienLabsTools/1.0.92.0__bebb3c8816410241/AlienLabsTools.dll

System.Configuration

Win32 Version: 2.0.50727.5476 (Win7SP1GDR.050727-5400)

CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Configuration/2.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/System.Configuration.dll

System.Xml

Win32 Version: 2.0.50727.5476 (Win7SP1GDR.050727-5400)

CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Xml/2.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Xml.dll

WindowsBase

Assembly Version: 3.0.0.0

Win32 Version: 3.0.6920.5453 built by: Win7SP1GDR

CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/assembly/GAC_MSIL/WindowsBase/3.0.0.0__31bf3856ad364e35/WindowsBase.dll

PresentationFramework

CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/assembly/GAC_MSIL/PresentationFramework/3.0.0.0__31bf3856ad364e35/PresentationFramework.dll

PresentationCore

CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/assembly/GAC_32/PresentationCore/3.0.0.0__31bf3856ad364e35/PresentationCore.dll

System.Management

Win32 Version: 2.0.50727.5420 (Win7SP1.050727-5400)

CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Management/2.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/System.Management.dll

AlienFX.DeviceDiscovery

CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/assembly/GAC_MSIL/AlienFX.DeviceDiscovery/1.0.92.0__bebb3c8816410241/AlienFX.DeviceDiscovery.dll

AlienLabs.MasterIOBoard.Communication.Core

CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/assembly/GAC_MSIL/AlienLabs.MasterIOBoard.Communication.Core/1.0.92.0__bebb3c8816410241/AlienLabs.MasterIOBoard.Communication.Core.dll

AlienFX.Communication

CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/assembly/GAC_MSIL/AlienFX.Communication/1.0.92.0__bebb3c8816410241/AlienFX.Communication.dll

AlienLabs.MasterIOBoard.Communication

CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/assembly/GAC_MSIL/AlienLabs.MasterIOBoard.Communication/1.0.92.0__bebb3c8816410241/AlienLabs.MasterIOBoard.Communication.dll

System.Core

Assembly Version: 3.5.0.0

Win32 Version: 3.5.30729.5420 built by: Win7SP1

CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Core/3.5.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Core.dll

LightFX

CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/assembly/GAC_MSIL/LightFX/1.0.92.0__bebb3c8816410241/LightFX.dll

************** JIT Debugging **************

To enable just-in-time (JIT) debugging, the .config file for this

application or computer (machine.config) must have the

jitDebugging value set in the system.windows.forms section.

The application must also be compiled with debugging

enabled.

For example:

When JIT debugging is enabled, any unhandled exception

will be sent to the JIT debugger registered on the computer

rather than be handled by this dialog box.

When opening the command center I get an error message as follows:

AlienFX error dialogue box

System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.

at AlienLabs.AlienFX.Controller.ControllerMainForm.closingApplication()

at AlienLabs.AlienFX.Controller.ControllerMainForm.controllerMainFormFormClosing(Object sender, FormClosingEventArgs e)

at System.Windows.Forms.Form.OnFormClosing(FormClosingEventArgs e)

at System.Windows.Forms.Form.RaiseFormClosingOnAppExit()

at System.Windows.Forms.Application.ExitInternal()

at System.Windows.Forms.Application.ThreadContext.OnThreadException(Exception t)

at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WndProcException(Exception e)

at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.OnThreadException(Exception e)

at System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.Callback(IntPtr hWnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam)

at System.Windows.Forms.UnsafeNativeMethods.SendMessage(HandleRef hWnd, Int32 msg, Int32 wParam, Int32 lParam)

at System.Windows.Forms.Form.SetVisibleCore(Boolean value)

at System.Windows.Forms.Control.set_Visible(Boolean value)

at System.Windows.Forms.Application.ThreadContext.RunMessageLoopInner(Int32 reason, ApplicationContext context)

at System.Windows.Forms.Application.ThreadContext.RunMessageLoop(Int32 reason, ApplicationContext context)

at System.Windows.Forms.Application.Run(Form mainForm)

at AlienLabs.AlienFX.Controller.Program.Main(String[] args)

Any ideas? I feel like when im uninstalling the command center it isn't entirely working, as the unknown device still remains...

February 22nd, 2014 15:00

Ok so update (scarcely an hour after I wrote the first post!)

I was sure there was an issue with the touch sensitive buttons along the top of the keyboard and I was fairly sure they were related to the "unknown device" error I was getting in the device manager.  

This I think was having a knock on effect on the FX center not being able to control the lights there and this was prompting the Microsoft errors.

Anyway, whatever the cause I decided to uninstall Command center again, turn off the laptop, and then perform a power drain.

When it started up this time, the keyboard went dark, and the unknown device has now gone from the device manager.  This has meant I can reinstall the command center and have been able to relight the keyboard.

So all in all, seems to have sorted the problem, at least for the time being!

February 22nd, 2014 14:00

In addition to all this- when attempting to uninstall the command center, I get a Microsoft .NET Framework error dialogue box.  I worry this may mean the uninstall is not working correctly.

"Unhandled exception has occurred in your application.  If you click Continue, the application will ignore this error and attempt to continue.  If you click Quit, the application will close immediately.

Object reference not set to an instance of an object."

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

Seemed to have solved the problem now by not only uninstalling command center (again) but shutting down and performing a power drain.

Good.

If it's working now, call it fixed and don't mess with it anymore.

Forum is barely working today and posts are erroring or being delayed.

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

Unfortunately, I don't think the PSA or ePSA Hardware Diags on Alienware laptops will check the MIO-Board circuit outside of Windows (but you might want to check anyway).

Try Power Dissipation Fix ...

Uninstall Command Center

shut down laptop, remove battery, press power button a few times (to dissipate all power). Reinstall battery and boot up

Reinstall latest Command Center for Laptops that is certified for your machine.

Seemed to have solved the problem now by not only uninstalling command center (again) but shutting down and performing a power drain.

This removed the unknown USB device in the device manager that has been causing all these problems.  I now have regained control of the laptop... for now!

February 22nd, 2014 16:00

Good.

If it's working now, call it fixed and don't mess with it anymore.

Forum is barely working today and posts are erroring or being delayed.

Yeah I notice the forums seem to be pretty awful- hence my double post above- I clicked post and it seemed to not have registered (even 10 mins after clicking it) so I wrote a new one...

Oh well, thanks for responses all the same, will update if problem becomes live again

No Events found!