Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

July 7th, 2015 22:00

m17x R4 - GPU and FX Light Problem

G'day,

This is my first time posting on any forums like this, I have searched extensively for a solution to my problems but have had no success.

My Machine

• Alienware m17xR4.
  • Purchased mid 2013 refurbished.
  • It came with windows 8, but I removed it and installed Windows 7 (Windows 8 drivers were hard to get working)
  • Unfortunately recovery partitions were removed when Windows 7 was installed.

My Problems:

• Poor GPU performance
  • No keyboard lights

When it Started:

Roughly six months ago I left my computer on in summer running a reasonably GPU heavy game. I had left the house and came back about three hours later to find my laptop and my housemates laptop off. We suspected that there was a power surge at the house. If that wasn't the case, then there was a high chance the laptop overheated.

When I turned my laptop back on the keyboard lights were off. The screen was in a low resolution, and the AMD 7970 catalyst drivers were no longer working. I tried to reinstall them, but it would say that the GPU could not be found.

One thing I have noticed, is my fan (not sure which one) used to run really fast when playing games. Ever since this happened they rarely run fast at all.

Personal Troubleshooting:

• To resolve both issues
    • ePSA Diagnostic - All results passed
    • Support Assist Diagnostic - All results passed
    • Opened it up, took out GPU and cleaned out all dust
    • Bios downgrade to A05 (using USB in mSata and hold end button)
    • Install custom unlocked bios (A11)
    • Bios currently back to A09
  • To resolve GPU
    • Reformat of Windows 7
      • This enabled a re-installation of the 7970 catalyst drivers with the GPU being detected. Unfortunately performance in games is ridiculously laggy and fans no longer run fast.
  • To resolve keyboard lights
    • After Windows 7 reformat, command centre reinstall
    • AlienwareFXTester says "Board Information (No board detected)

I have read on some forums that I could try a MIO Board jumper reset, but I have no idea how to find it or what to do.

Remaining Problem Summary:

• GPU is detected and drivers are installed but performance is very sluggish, even on low settings, when playing games. (directx to be specific)
  • Keyboard lights are not working (The alien on the back of the monitor is the only thing that is lit)

I have found these problems really difficult to fix, because all diagnostic tests have passed. Is it now some weird firmware issue that needs sorting? I'm dreading the need for a MIO board replacement because I'm out of warranty and would probably just buy a new machine instead.

Any assistance in the matter, or direction, would be greatly appreciated. Apologies if you feel like you've wasted 10 minutes of your life reading this!

7 Technologist

• 

4.4K Posts

July 8th, 2015 12:00

Thank you for the detailed explanation and welcome to the Alienware community forum. Since you are showing the (No board detected) message on the AlienwareFXTester window and you have already tried the recommended troubleshooting procedures for this issue, I believe there may be a hardware problem with the motherboard. What you mentioned about the board jumper reset is not a regular procedure for us, we normally just replace the motherboard when this happens, so I cannot confirm if that will work.

In regards to the sluggish performance with the GPU, you could try running a video card stress test using the Support Assist program if you haven't already done so. This test will show the FPS and the temperature of the GPU. If the FPS are very low during this test or the temperature goes above 90C, there may be a hardware problem with the GPU and it would be best to have it replaced. There is a possibility that if the motherboard is defective, it could be creating some sort of  conflict with the GPU causing it to give sluggish performance. Let me know if you have any questions. 

3 Posts

July 8th, 2015 21:00

Last night I installed the catalyst drivers from AMD instead of Dell. Initially it did not work and said that no card was detected. I installed Alienware hotkey drivers and then pressed Fn+F7 (I/D GFX), and then after a reboot catalyst detected my video card. I think the issue with my GPU is within the switchable graphics function. Nonetheless, I've had a significant performance increase since installing the beta drivers from AMD.

I passed a stress test using support assist, although couldn't find a test output so you could see my details. GPU usage was at 99% and the temp started at 24 and got to about 60 odd. With the first test, (I think it was lighting), FPS was lucky to surpass 20.

One thing I forgot to mention was ever since I got the laptop the charger chord was dodgy and never fully connects in the socket. In other words it falls out easily even with the slightest movement. I never bothered to get it fixed because it was a manageable issue. Unfortunately now sometimes when I boot the system, before windows loads I get the message "ac adapter wattage and type cannot be determined". Interestingly enough the charger still charges the laptop completely fine when the system boots and the error almost means nothing. I wonder if that has anything to do with poor GPU performance though, as it may need to know a power source is there and it doesn't "know" what it is.

If the mobo is faulty, would it still pass a diagnostic test?

7 Technologist

• 

4.4K Posts

July 11th, 2015 12:00

Yes, the motherboard could still have a hardware problem and pass the diagnostic test. The diagnostic test does a basic check to but it won’t detect a problem with the Alien FX lights or with the AC adapter port. The message that you receive about the AC adapter could very well be a motherboard problem, even if it’s just the port itself, the entire motherboard would have to be replaced. If your system is still in warranty, please send me a PM with your service tag for further assistance. 

3 Posts

July 11th, 2015 20:00

Cheers for the assistance Rod; unfortunately I'm out of Warranty. I'll probably just fork out for a new machine.

Thanks for your time.

3 Posts

July 14th, 2015 19:00

Wow there dude. I myself was searching for help with fans and seen this post. My alienware is a pre dell and I had lighting issues, This was the fix

Anyway Im a rubbish reader and pretty thick but dont you just need a new charger and light fix. Ofcourse it could be a motherboard issue, wouldnt have a clue, anyway a year on and I found a light fix. Multi coloured keyboard!

No Events found!