Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

November 29th, 2016 13:00

m17x R4 - No GPU Detected after CMOS reset

Hi All,

Yesterday, while playing a PC game, my computer suddenly shut down. Upon trying to reboot I got the 8-beep alarm and a black screen. I did some research and folks recommended removing the CMOS battery in order to reset the BIOS. I followed the steps outlined here, and my computer came back up. The issue is that it now doesn't detect my GPU which is an Nvidia 660M. 

I checked the BIOS and it's not being detected there either. The device manager only shows Intel HD Graphics 4000 under display adapters. I'm currently unable to install any Nvidia drivers since the set up wizard will say that there's no compatible hardware. For brevity sake, I've listed the steps I've taken to troubleshoot the issue but to no avail.

- reseated the graphics card
- uninstalled Nvidia Drivers
- Flashed the BIOS with the most updated version

- System restore
- disabling Intel HD Graphics and rebooting

Unfortunately, this machine is no longer under warranty. Any assistance or guidance would be greatly appreciated! Thank you,

Dh3

12 Posts

December 1st, 2016 11:00

Hello,

Thanks for the reply. I forgot to mention that I tried that as one of the first troubleshooting options.

Any other thoughts?

Dh3

3 Apprentice

• 

4.4K Posts

December 1st, 2016 11:00

Hi,

This computer has switchable graphics, try FN+F7 keys to make the switch. You should get a message on the screen.

Let me know how it goes!

3 Apprentice

• 

4.4K Posts

December 4th, 2016 19:00

Are you getting the message on the screen?

12 Posts

December 5th, 2016 09:00

No, I tried toggling Fn-F7 but the OSD software doesn't seem to be registering it. In other words, I don't actually see anything toggling. Please keep in mind that the graphics card doesn't even show up as an option in the BIOS. Thanks

3 Apprentice

• 

4.4K Posts

December 6th, 2016 20:00

Switchable graphics will do that, you wont be able to see it in the BIOS. Reinstall the OSD driver and let me know.

12 Posts

December 7th, 2016 09:00

Hello, I reinstalled the M17x R4 OSD driver. Still no go. When I press Shift-F7 I don't see any on screen display saying that it's changed. I used to get a notification to switch cards when I'd unplug the laptop. However, ever since the suddenly shutdown last week I haven't seen that notification appear again. Any further help would be appreciated. Thanks

12 Posts

December 11th, 2016 16:00

Update: I replaced the GPU and everything's working fine now

No Events found!