Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

May 20th, 2014 08:00

m18x R2 AMD graphic driver

Hi everyone,

I am running my m18x R2 laptop with the one year old and only AMD driver available on the Dell download page (ver 9.003 date 16.07.2013) on Windows 7. I have dual AMD 7970 grahpic cards.

I have some instability issues causing game crash or sudden HDMI or display port malfunction. When this instability starts it gets worse and worse until the moment I make a fresh driver install again.

I tried to install the latest official AMD mobile driver (ver 14) but my laptop was even more unstable even if the driver installation went fine.

So to be honest I really tried many things but now I am a bit confused and don't know what to do with that computer.

Do you guys have good experience with installing a recent version of AMD mobile driver on that computer? How did you make it?

Is there any new driver to be released by Dell? I paid 3000$ for a gaming computer and have no driver update included for that price? Graphic driver is an essential factor for gaming performance and bug fix isn't it?

Thanks for your help :)

1.8K Posts

May 20th, 2014 16:00

Hi,

The driver version that's posted on the Dell Support website is the known-good and stable version. You always have the option to go to the AMD website and download the latest version they have, but it won't necessarily work better in your system. If you're having stability issues with AMD's latest driver, I can only suggest you revert back to the version from the Support website by doing a clean driver installation.

If the performance issues persists, try the troubleshooting steps here

Let me know how it goes!

2 Posts

May 21st, 2014 13:00

Its quite rare to have a company representative following and answering customers requests on forums today.

However with all due respect, I think your answer is more business management friendly than customer friendly.

Alienware is used to be a high end gaming computer manufacturer. You provide great hardware but your support regarding software, especially drivers, is really bad.

Everyone knows how important graphical drivers update are to get better performance in game. If you look at this forum you will see thousands of posts speaking about this kind of topics.

Dell strategy is to provide one stable driver when the a new version of the gaming laptop is released and then leave the community alone trying to figure out how to make their high end computer evolve in time. We you try to in touch with Dell to discuss this issue you are basically facing some kind of technical representative telling to download the last stable version on the support page or try the last ATI mobile driver at your own risk without any support. Now it looks like you created a new website ( ideastorm.com) where customers submit and vote on next Dell development !!! This looks nice to the customer but the reality is that this website is just another way to not provide mid term developement on all your high end computers.

I am sure all you people at Dell have smartphones: iphone, Android or Blackberry. Would you be happy if these smartphones companies would never release any update or new OS for their smartphone? Would you be happy if your contact one of these smartphone company asking for a crucial new feature and the customer service will tell you to download the only available two years old OS on their support page?

This is exactly what you are doing to your Alienware customers.

1.8K Posts

May 22nd, 2014 15:00

We've received feedback regarding driver updates and we've already escalated the request internally to our engineering department. The reason why ideastorm.com exists is so that the users can vote and help them come up with a better driver. If you really think that the driver needs updating, you should submit a post there. 

No Events found!