Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

August 9th, 2010 11:00

need help asap

4 months ago I purchased an Alienware Aurora standard with i3 dualcore from dells website and 2 days ago my PC suddenly died on me, it blue screens before I can get to the login screen aswell as bluescreening if I try to enter in Safe Mode. I did an extended System Repair on it and tried to F8 when the bluescreen came up to keep it there so I could read what was wrong but it stays up very briefly before restarting itself.

I have had no previous problems with my computer up until this moment and it seems to have happened a week after purchasing and installing my Starcraft 2 : Wings of Liberty game (I understand there is an apparent problem with there not being a set framerate cap on some sections of the game though I added to the Starcraft 2 variables.txt file:

" frameratecap=60
frameratecapglue=30 "

As you are apparently supposed to so perhaps that didnt work and my graphics card was overheated, I am not good with computers at all and would really appreciate any help that can be given; who am I to phone? what will I need on hand for the phonecall? what should I do to prevent it next time? and is there anything else you feel will help me? please reply soon its a big jump from an Alienware gaming desktop to a borrowed, old fashioned laptop, Thank You.

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

August 9th, 2010 11:00

Welcome to the Forum.

Just call Alienware Support at 1-866-287-6727 .

If you need further assistance, just let us know.

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

August 9th, 2010 12:00

I don't have SC2 installed yet, but ...

I find it highly unlikely that a game or app. can fry a video card. The card will just shut down or throttle back.

Plus, StarCraft-2 is hardly what I would call a graphics intensive game. Just look at the System Reqs.

72 Posts

August 9th, 2010 12:00

You are right on what you heard about Starcraft2, there is no cap on certain sections, not sure how to fix said problem but could have taken vid card out

seen alot of forums on this problem.

August 9th, 2010 18:00

Its not so much to do with the graphics the story mode is played out in an interactive point and click main menu and blizzard in there infinite wisdom forgot to cap the framerate of these frequent scenes so some computers seem to take this as "best go nuts" and send themselves into overdrive and heatup the card to fast for some temp controls to keep-up, regardless I have contacted Alienware support and after putting my computer through its second diagnostics test (first custom) I will phone them back tomorrow with the found Errors and they will send someone to fix / replace what is needed, thanks for all the support I plan on sticking around here at the Alienware Club because im a bit clueless about my PC compared to most :)

72 Posts

August 10th, 2010 09:00

Please let us know what you find out, thx.

August 11th, 2010 06:00

" frameratecap=60
frameratecapglue=30"

is a common .ini setting to edit for alot of games...a TON of games using the unreal engine have been REALLY bad lately, esp. console ports like Alpha Protocol and Metal Gear Solid...  this setting would have zero effect on your GPU heat/hardware tho...some people run values of 1024-4096 etc to avoid the "jitter" that can be caused from the gpu throttling itself to stay within those values...  since your crashing when you enter safemode, it seems like you have a software/driver problem, which can be fixed over the phone with tech support... In *most* cases if you had actually fried the video card from heat, you wouldnt even be able to get the POST screen to pop up...or it would freeze/lock up before even trying to enter windows.... hopefully tech support will be able to help you "salvage" your windows install,  without having to format your drive, or replace your video card...

and remember,  "If at first you cant fix it, get a bigger hammer!!!"

No Events found!