Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

October 22nd, 2009 07:00

new MX17 hot? How to check temperature?

Hello,

Just got the new MX17 up and running yesterday.  DS is currently playing Dawn of War, I'm in another room and I can hear the fan!  DS is wondering if the laptop is running too hot.  It's blasting the warm air out the back.  Laptop is sitting on our wood dining room table at the moment.  He'll definitely be buying an additional cooling unit. Right now, we're wondering if there is some way to actually check internal temperatures on this unit.  It's running Windows Vista 64 Home Premium.  Does anyone here have some step by step instructions?  Would sure appreciate it.  :)   Thanks!

October 22nd, 2009 15:00

Hi Countryhm

This is what most of us use to monitor CPU, GPU, mobo and HD temps:

http://www.cpuid.com/hwmonitor.php (free version)

http://www.cpuid.com/hwmonitorpro.php (pro version)

I use an Antec Cooler 200 for my M17x which I highly recommend (there are others out there too).

System runs 10-20 degrees cooler, and the Antec has a single fan, it arguably covers a greater area and draws cool air into the lower M17x vents, and is pretty quiet.

Cheers

Trelawney

October 22nd, 2009 20:00

Good tips, thanks Trelawney. How do you use the Antec? it doesn't look very comfortable for lap use. Do you have a cushion or pillow for it?

19 Posts

October 22nd, 2009 22:00

Thanks, Trelawney.  I had wondered if there was already something installed on the M17x that would show this. Thanks for the link, I'll check that out.

I've been looking at cooling units as well.  Does the one you mentioned run from one of the M17X's USB ports?  And if so, do you find this takes away from the laptop's performance at all?  I've seen one unit that can be powered from a USB port or AC.  It's  more expensive, but if one that runs on USB only tends to draw too much on the computer's performance, it might be worthwhile going that route.  This laptop will likely not be doing a lot of running on battery power.  Not seeing a lot of Antec product where I live, more Belkin products are available, though.

October 23rd, 2009 06:00

Hi guys

Glad that helped! :)

I use a Travelon Portable Lap Desk (very comfortable) with the Antec and then M17x in a big sandwich. - Actually it boosts the laptop to a good reading line level, and whilst heavy, the lap-desk is very well cushioned, and has a hard surface (the poise lamp can get in the way a bit, but just bend it back or remove). I bought this a few years ago for g/f study, but recently thought to re-use it, but can't remember where I got it from sorry!

Antec works fine from USB port, and no loss of performance. There is a 2 speed switch, but the overall unit I think is pretty quiet - mainly as it stops the M17x fans from having to work as hard/loud. As the single fan is bigger, then lower power / lower rpm, but good air displacement if that makes sense?

I did get a latest NZXT cooler at first but it was faulty (grille touched the fan on a flat surface). Although it was aluminium and nice, i'm glad they didn't have a replacement in stock, and the cheaper Antec actually ended up (IMO) looking nicer and performing better for me at least. Blue LEDs sell me every time ;)

All the best

Trelawney

19 Posts

October 24th, 2009 08:00

The MX17 is quite heavy, I don't know if my son will use it on his lap.  It is possible he'll want to at some point, though.     Right now he has it sitting on a table, and he's using a gaming mouse.  He doesn't like the touchpad.  (I am personally not a big fan of those things either!)  I did manage to find a couple of outlets that sell the Antec Cooler 200.  Antec also has a less expensive one which has a more basic appearance, but maybe the 200 would be better for the larger laptop.  It does look nicer.   And considering the weight of the MX17, one would certainly want to consider if the cooling unit can hold it without pressure being put on the fans.   (I'm thinking Christmas gift, if he can wait that long. )

Thanks for your advice re the power and performance.  And yes, the MX17 fans are quite loud, especially compared to my little Lenovo R61 (which is hiding, embarrassed, in the next room from this big fancy MX17 with the the big screen and the lit up keyboard, hehe!).  The game my son is running really makes those fans work.

No Events found!