Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

December 5th, 2010 19:00

"Stealth Button" Issue on M15X

Hi guys

Every time I try to switch the stealth-mode, it calls the button "W"

Is any one here has the same problem?

Or if these is a way to solve this problem.

Thanks

265 Posts

December 5th, 2010 19:00

My stealth mode works, but I do have the same problem.

Whenever I press the stealth mode button, it enables stealth mode, but presses "W" at the same time?

I dont understand why it does this, but its not really that aggrevating. I would like it fixed though.

8 Posts

December 5th, 2010 20:00

Yeah, it is not that bad

but I think they should really solve this problem cuz they are "Aliens", 

and the problem is somewhat stupid

Anyway

thanks for your help, man

501 Posts

December 6th, 2010 02:00

What's the Stealth button for and where is it?
Maybe the M17x doesn't have it???

17 Posts

December 6th, 2010 05:00

The M17x does have it.  Its on your soft buttons on the top right above the keyboard.  It turns off your descrete video card and uses the onboard graphics card(lower performance), so its mainly for when you are using your battery and do not want to drain it.  It looks like your speedometer(the button looks like it) in your car, and yes it does work, and no I have not seen it call it the W button when using.

17 Posts

December 6th, 2010 08:00

Stealth mode turns off the high performance of the graphics card (for me dual 5870's) and uses the graphics card that is built into the mother board.  This is generally used when you are using your battery to get better life out of it.

501 Posts

December 6th, 2010 08:00

What is it supposed to do?
I could find out in the manual but I left that in the original box which is packed away in the loft.

501 Posts

December 6th, 2010 09:00

So you would get the same kind of resolution and colours that you have in safe mode, right?

17 Posts

December 6th, 2010 10:00

No its better then safe mode.  Safe mode doesn't load your video drivers, so that is why safe mode looks so horrible.  I can still run a game in stealth mode, but I need to turn everything way down.  Its just a way to get graphics without your battery being eaten by the high performance graphic card.

501 Posts

December 6th, 2010 11:00

So, if it only works in AC mode, what is the point of it?

265 Posts

Stealth Mode only works when you are plugged into the AC Adapter. When running on battery power, stealth mode is not available, because the computer is already in a low power consumption state.

501 Posts

That sounds a great idea! Thanks for your replies. I never play games with mine, but if I can ever get it running I may use that when playing videos while travelling.

17 Posts

Wow, I need to check that again................I think I set my battery up for High performance as well, and that enabled my stealth to work.............or at least I thought it worked.  Guess I will check that at home.

265 Posts

That my friend, is a question for Alienware.....LOL.

I have tried to figure that one out for a while, and I agree with you, it doesnt make any sense. I am guessing maybe it is to put it into a lower power state so it wont make as much noise with the fans and heat,etc. But again, i have no clue.

All I know is, when I press the Stealth Mode button on battery, it gives me a message saying "Stealth Mode not available while running on battery."

For those that have the M15x/M17x, try pressing the stealth mode button on battery and see if you get the same message.

27 Posts

December 6th, 2010 12:00

Stealth mode is only available when the computer is connected to the AC power supply.

I believe the idea is to reduce the amount of load required to run the laptop from the power supply when connected to a low load outlet such as an aircraft AC power point or the 12volt to 110/240volt converters you can get for the car. If you run it off the power supply at max chat you would probably trip the outlet protection device. Not that there is enough room on a plane to use an M15x, let alone an M17x.

If you try and select the stealth mode while on battery power you will get the not supported message.

Cobbie

38 Posts

December 6th, 2010 12:00

Tried it on my M15X, no indication or warning except button brightens up. Touching pad again, indicator dims. With regard to a previous comment, touching stealth mode does produce a 'w' in a text /W/P programme.

No Events found!