Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

Closed

K

8 Posts

December 18th, 2017 08:00

17 R2, really loud fans

Hi,

Fans on my Alienware 17 R2 are really loud, and work all the time, they never stop, when playing games goes even faster and and are even louder than usual. I understand they need to cool hardware while playing because of usage of components, however is it possible to turn them off while doing web browsing and working on spreadsheets? Could that be dangerous for laptop?

3 Apprentice

• 

4.4K Posts

December 18th, 2017 13:00

Hi krolwioski‌,

Update the BIOS version to the latest in our website. 

Also, these could be related to overheating, so try running a video card stress test. Follow the steps below to do this.

• Open Support Assist
  • Click on the Checkup option
  • Click Run Custom Scan
  • Click on the Nvidia/AMD card
  • Select the Stress Test option

If you do not have Support Assist installed, click here for the download link. Let me know how high the GPU temperature goes in the stress test. 

December 19th, 2017 00:00

All tests passed.
AMD Radeon(TM) HD8970M: Temperature: 80 C

Intel(R) HD Graphics 4600: That one does not show temperature. 

3 Apprentice

• 

4.4K Posts

December 19th, 2017 12:00

Ok so try running a CPU stress test using the Support Assist tool to check how high the CPU temperature goes. 

• Open Dell Support Assist
  • Click Checkup
  • Click Scan a Specific Device
  • Click System Devices
  • Select the CPU Stress Test and Run it. This Test will load the CPU and Ram to 100% and test it. It will make enough heat to determine if the processor is overheating or not.

Let me know how it goes. 

December 19th, 2017 13:00

This is the result of CPU test:
Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-4900MQ CPU @ 2.80GHz (CPU:0)
Temperature 89 C

Core : 0 Temperature: 84 C
Core : 1 Temperature: 86 C
Core : 2 Temperature: 88 C
Core : 3 Temperature: 85 C

During those tests, previous one and that one fans did not go as loud as they go when I do play games.

Also I had this problem since I have bought laptop, so it's 3 years already, just never had time to ask for advice.

My laptop seems to be fine, so I do not ask if there is any issue with my laptop that cause fans to go so loud, but instead I would like to know if there's any software to stop them, or change point then fans start and if this is safe?

3 Apprentice

• 

4.4K Posts

December 21st, 2017 07:00

We do not recommend shutting the fans off, but you can use this app: HWinfo or Speedfan to manually control the fans.

December 21st, 2017 07:00

what about only changing time when their start to work?

for example right now fans work like this:

60C = 4000RPM

70C = 5000RPM

80C = 6000RPM

what would be recommendations to change it? for example:

60C = 3000RPM

70C = 4000RPM

80C = 5000RPM

Does anyone have anything valuable to write? as by now it's only taking time and checking but without any solution.

No Events found!