Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

V

April 20th, 2011 17:00

upgrading from 525 to 875 psu

I got an AW Aurora-R3 about 3 weeks ago and at the time I didn't realize the importance of having a large enough PSU.

What are my options for upgrading from a 525w to an 875w psu. I've done some research and know that the AW psu is a propietary one.

Also, I don't want to monkey around trying to install an after-market psu.

Is there a way to order an 875w psu from Dell?

also how difficult would it be for me to install myself? keep in mind, the most I've ever done is install ram on a computer.

I appreciate any help / info !

150 Posts

April 21st, 2011 06:00

I recently did this myself.  You can order the power supply from Dell, but you'll have to call sales to get it.  It is somewhat expensive ($200 +/-).  Installation is a snap.  You unscrew four screws at the back and unplug a single connector directly from the power supply.  Slide the unit out, remove four screws holding the power supply to the back backet, attach the bracket to the new power supply, slide it in, plug the connector, and you're ready to go.

There is post on this site somewhere from Chris (Dell Rep) that lists the three power supply numbers that are used for the 875 watt Alienware.  They are all interchangeable and it doesn't really matter which one you order.  Also, there are several videos available on YouTube that give a visual walkthru of how to remove the power supply, and how to completely tear down an Aurora if you need to.

Another thing to consider....if you've only had the system for 3 weeks you might still be able to return it to Dell and purchase another unit with the power supply that you want.  Good luck with whatever path you choose.

757 Posts

April 21st, 2011 08:00

http://www.youtube.com/user/Alienwareservices#p/u/4/pVFaOyenmiU

Part one of four and around the 5:50 minute mark.

22 Posts

April 21st, 2011 16:00

thanks alot for the info! I've been kicking myself for not spending the $50 for the 875 in the first place. oh well, live and learn i guess.

22 Posts

November 28th, 2011 20:00

this is an old thread but figured I'd report back here that I finally got the 875w PSU and had no problems installing it. I didn't have to call Dell to get it, I was able to order it through their website.

No Events found!