Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

January 3rd, 2013 07:00

x51 Video Error and Crashing constantly - unplayable :-(

I received my x51 with the i7 3770 processor, GTX660, and 8 gig of ram this Monday 12/31/2012. The PC worked great that Monday and most the afternoon on Tuesday 1/1/2013. I was getting about 60-100 FPS on Planetside 2 high settings. Tuesday night 1/1/2013, however, I started receiving a video error "The nivida video kernel lost connecting and reconnected successfully" (this is not exact verbiage). After doing this a few times the screen will then go completely black and show that it lost connection. The PC then beeps once like it rebooted, but still no connection to monitor. Then after 2-3 minutes it beeps three times. I waited 10 minutes total and nothing happen. So I forced power cycled the PC which comes to the error that windows shutdown unexpectedly with an option to repair or start normally.

I checked the event log and see the video error that it lost connection then I also see a crash error with a bug number. I am not on the PC writing this since it would crash while i was trying so I will get the bug number later.

This happens every time I attempt to play a game and even when i am just browsing the internet now.  I called technical support and was on the phone for about 2 hours. The guys was very helpful. We removed and reinstalled the video drivers, completed multiple stress test, change setting on the graphic, installed software to force the fans to run to test for heating problems, etc. I changed my PC from DVI to VGA and it does not seem to crash as fast as before but still receive the video error.

After all the troubleshooting he decided to replace the graphics card which of course is out of stock and won't ship till 1/11/2013 at the earliest. Then a tech will come and install the new hardware.So pretty much have a useless computer that was already delayed the start for another 2-3 weeks. Wish they would just give me the money to run to best buy and buy one.

I read through the forums and found a lot of people are having the same issues with the x51 with the GTX660 and it seemed to be a Bios issues. I am running Bios A08 and i do see there is new version of A11.

But it does seem odd that it worked perfectly for 24 hours then started to die out. I really hope the new graphics card work. Anyone else experience the same issue and did a new card fix it?

2 Intern

• 

835 Posts

January 4th, 2013 08:00

While you are waiting for the new graphics card, you can try re installing the Operating System. 

Here's a video that you can use as a guide to Install the OS properly:

How to install Windows 8 on an Alienware System 

No Events found!