Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

June 13th, 2012 05:00

x51 long wait for vid card

I had my x51 turn up today and the video card in it is not working. It keeps making the screen go into energy save mode and even made some sort of fan grinding sound. I talk to a dell tech support lady tonight who seems to know less about pc's than me. She read from the prompt sheet really well....lol.

Any way i have done all i can to check what this problem could be and it seems like I mentioned before that the video card is faulty, even after they recon they stress test them?

I waited 3 weeks for this pc to come and I cannot even use the stupid thing. What a let down from Dell and Alienware. With all the bits and pieces I got, I have over $2,000 dollars of usless computer  sitting on my desk I cannot even use.

A tech is ment to be coming out in the next day or so. Hope this guy carrys video cards or I could face more waiting. What a joke. 

Sorry if I have raved on a bit but I am really .

Community Manager

• 

54.9K Posts

June 13th, 2012 07:00

Lets go back to the basics. What specific monitor are you using? What port on the monitor is connected to what port on the video card?

245 Posts

June 13th, 2012 22:00

A grinding sound could be the video card power cable  loose and touching the fan.  Its a simple 5 minute process to checkif thats the case.  One screw to open the chassis then look at the video card cage.  There a metal hook that the cable should be secured into.  If its not, that could be the issue for both the sound and the video card problems.  

this video card shows how to get at that video card to fix the get the cable in the hook

[View:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tnR3kPbCuxQ]

14 Posts

June 14th, 2012 00:00

it is an alienware screen....so it is compatible with the x51.

Now that you mention the sound card it did make a feed back sound one of the times it went to power save mode.

who knows...i could check it myself but i am not sure if i am alound under the warranty ?

i just hope the problem was recorded right so the tech brings spare parts to fix the pc.

for now i will watch this video you linked.

I will let you guys know what happens after the tech comes tomorrow.

14 Posts

June 14th, 2012 00:00

sorry chris i forgot to mention it is pluged into one of the dual dvi slots availible on the 555 card.  i tryed both slots and a diffrent screen. the new screen works for little while then goes into energy save mode...and will not wake up.

the old screen will not work at all...but i know it works because it is used on my old pc to this day.

so it is a video card or as mav said sound card issue/or both...lol.

still very dissapointed in alienware....try the big name and it does not work first day...big let down.

i hope once it is fixed it is smooth sailing from there.

245 Posts

June 15th, 2012 05:00

I mentioned that the sound you hear could be video card power cables getting too close to the video card fan.  Not a sound card issue.

And yes you can open your system to check those video card power cables without voiding your warranty...

14 Posts

June 17th, 2012 17:00

well ok..i check the cables...no problem there...

any way as it turn out the video card was faulty....got new one late last week from the onsite dell tech.

i was not happy with the state that the machine arrived(not working) but i guess i was just unlucky and got a lemon card.

in saying that...i was happy with the dell after sales onsite warranty...the tech fello was great and the problems is resolved.

and thanks for your help mav....

thank you.

245 Posts

June 17th, 2012 22:00

Anytime.. glad you're up and running.  enjoy the X51 :-)

No Events found!