Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

December 2nd, 2012 20:00

x51 resolution change caused black screen

I Tried Adjusting My Resolution On My x51, And The Screen Went Black. My MOniter Said That The Resolution wasn't Supported. It Has Done This With Videogames Before, easily Solvable By TaBbingOut And CLosing TheProgram. But

191 Posts

December 3rd, 2012 15:00

Try using the dvi connector.  That may allow you to get your resolution needed.

December 2nd, 2012 20:00

I apologize for the syntax of this post, my phone is having a fit trying to write in this forum. Using speech to text is working a bit better, however I'm not sure how well this will turn out. I have tried resetting the computer, as well as holding F8 during reboot but nothing is working. I had the resolution at 1900 x 10 80 P, and I was attempting to lower it, to optimize the way games run, but once I changed it it blacked out. Nothing I do is working, and I would really appreciate some help. Thank you so much for your time, Anything you know of that might help is welcome.

Sincerely, Hoguesteele

December 2nd, 2012 21:00

Now whenever I turn the monitor on, I get a blue screen and my monitor says that there is no signal.

191 Posts

December 3rd, 2012 06:00

What plug on the x51 are you using?  The hdmi on the motherboard or the dvi on the gpu?

2 Intern

• 

835 Posts

December 3rd, 2012 09:00

Hello,

It might be a connection error, like kameix1 is stating above, check out this article:

Alienware X51 - No Video when using Onboard HDMI port

December 3rd, 2012 13:00

I had a connection error before when the screen went black randomly, I resolved that by turning the monitor on and off for a while as well as resetting the computer a few times. This Black screen occurred as a direct result of lowering the resolution.

I think this would be easily solved if I could just put the resolution back the way I had it, however I can't do that without knowing what I'm clicking on. Am I just going to have to try different monitors until I find one that's compatible with the resolution I am currently at? Thank you both for your time.

The HDMI on the motherboard. I am thinking about going to Best Buy and picking up a DVI cable. Would using the DVI cable allow the computer to run video games faster? I know that's unrelated, but it's something to think about after I get this whole thing resolved. Thank you for your response

December 4th, 2012 16:00

Seriously.Thank You A Billion Times

December 4th, 2012 16:00

Bought A DVI-A To VGA Cable, 6', 24$ At Best Buy. Works Like A Charm, And My Games Run Much Much Faster, Thank You Both So Much!

October 9th, 2014 11:00

I am having the same problem... My X51 R2 is connected to a 4k TV, HDMI port on the TV to the discrete graphics card  (760Ti) with HDMI cable. The TV is not equipped with a DVI connection,

Now I have connected it to the HDMI on the X51 which accesses the INTEL graphics card and can see the screen. But I need to be connected to the 760Ti!

Is there a way to fix this accessing the 760Ti from the Intel card or something? I do not have a HDMI to DVI cable available right now.

PLEASE HELP, thanks.

PS: Is there really no safe boot mode (F8)??

No Events found!