Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

March 14th, 2017 08:00

Alienware 15 R3 Crackling Noises

Well, here's my problem.

I just bought an Alienware, brand new. Everything was fine until I started noticing that it makes short crackling noises (the condition is weird. I'll try my best to explain) whenever there's an audio starting. For example, when you adjust your volume and the machine makes that default Windows sound. The noises are at the start of the sound and at the end when the sound fades away. Then, I started to notice them everywhere, before and after notification sound, before and after, I dare say, any sound start and end. It looked(sounded) like a hardware problem for me at first, like, when the machine needs to use its audio output and the wire there might be glitchy and stuff. But, no, because when I muted the sound and there are notifications, my machine makes those noises again. What's more interesting is that I noticed it makes noises when I launch certain programs, too. Google Chrome, Steam, etc. The noises happen consistently. I launched and closed and launched programs that make noises, the noises happen at the same time, same rhythm, every time when that program is launched. But, when I restart the machine, some programs stop making noises, some start to make noises when I launched them. The noises also happen when certain games or songs make low hummm, but not consistently. ALSO, it happens in my headphone, too. Weird, right?

So, I started to hypothesized that maybe it's a software problem and has something to do with the driver. I updated the Realtek driver to a newer version. Surprisingly, the noises were gone for the machine's speaker. I was so happy for a day. Until I noticed them when I use my headphone ... Like, what???

To conclude, my questions are:

What is the cause of this problem? Is it hardware? or software?

How do I fix them?

Big thanks to those who's still reading my story,
Autumniit

March 14th, 2017 09:00

I just got done rolling back the Realtek Audio Drivers and it has fixed it...

Device Manager > Sound Video & Game Controllers > Realtek Audio

Good luck! :)

March 14th, 2017 09:00

Yep same here... Brand new Alienware 15 R3 and all good until today when the audio custs out completely and returtns intermittently but crackling. Saw some other threads taslk about BIOS and Realtek Driver update conflicts but not sure. I have updated the BIOS and am now going to try rolling back the Realtek Audio drivers and I'll let you know.

1 Message

October 9th, 2017 17:00

I'm having the same problem.  I don't have an option to roll back the realtek driver.

No Events found!