Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

April 15th, 2017 22:00

Alienware 17 R4 will not play iTunes videos

Alienware 17 R4, Intel HD530 and Nvidia Geforce GTX 1070, Intell i7 6700HQ @ 2.6ghz

Current version of iTunes, all drivers up to date..

None of my iTunes purchased movies will play, HD or SD, iTunes player opens and movie shows black screen.

All these movies played perfectly on the previous laptop.. An older HP Envy 17

It does this regardless of which video card i select.

Any ideas or suggestions?

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

April 16th, 2017 14:00

I assume they currently play ok from iPhone or iPad?

Is this machine authorized?

Can you get to your Account details in iTunes?

So, you are streaming these down, or you are playing downloaded copies?

These movies are truly in iTunes? Or, are they in a linked account (like Disney Movies Anywhere) ?

21 Posts

April 16th, 2017 18:00

This is a shot in the dark as I haven't used iTunes in some time, but you can try installing DirectX 9 - I would not be surprised if Apple has not updated:

Download DirectX End-User Runtime Web Installer from Official Microsoft Download Center 

4 Posts

April 16th, 2017 20:00

I assume they currently play ok from iPhone or iPad?  iPad pro plays them fine

Is this machine authorized? Yes as far as I can tell

Can you get to your Account details in iTunes? Yes

So, you are streaming these down, or you are playing downloaded copies? Have tried both ways, same result

These movies are truly in iTunes? Or, are they in a linked account (like Disney Movies Anywhere) ? They are all iTunes movies

4 Posts

April 16th, 2017 22:00

Tried running iTunes in safe mode,no change there.... I am at work and bored anyway so I did a full wipe and restore of the laptop.

Install iTunes and the movies play fine, there is a large group of updates it wants to do(Windows) going to install them one at a time to see which one breaks iTunes, two updates are for the display and video card the rest look like security patches.. Will update in a few days, this may take some time doing them one at a time..

757 Posts

April 17th, 2017 00:00

When a program fails to function properly you can access the software from "Programs and Features" in Control Panel and select Repair. Most but not all programs will allow you to repair their software from the Programs and Features list.

The most recent iTunes update caused some issues for me as well and the repair function restored iTunes. I believe the problem was with one of the iTunes services not being properly set during the update.

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

April 17th, 2017 06:00

Try disabling Direct3D acceleration in QuickTime.

Open your QuickTime control panel (either via the Control panels, or by going "Edit > Preferences > QuickTime Preferences" in the Quicktime Player). In the Advanced tab, uncheck Enable Direct3D video acceleration:

Qucktime 3D

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

April 17th, 2017 09:00

Good work. Good troubleshooting. I would be interested to see what you discover.

Actually, I'm surprised how poorly iTunes and iCloud for Windows works on Windows-10/64bit. In my personal experience ... "barely working" and "breaks easily" are good ways to describe it. Still can't get my Photo Stream to work reliably on my Windows machines.

4 Posts

April 21st, 2017 18:00

Right now it looks like the driver for the display panel on the laptop is the culprit, I rolled it back and can now play the movies.

A bit of a slow process, I have a few more programs and updates to install.

After that if they are still playing, I will update the display panel driver again and see what happens..

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

April 21st, 2017 18:00

Take a full-system (all partition) Image Backup (with Verify on) while system is still working. Macrium Reflect Free v6.x would work.

No Events found!