Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

September 3rd, 2014 12:00

Alienware 17 SSD drive location?

I own an Alienware 17 that I purchased in January of this year.  It came with a 256 mb SSD.  Which I have found to be woefully inadequate for my purposes.  I'm at the point of cleaning the temporary files every day so that I don't fill up the drive.  I purchased a new 1TB Samsung SATA III SSD, but I cannot locate where the current SSD is installed.  There are two ports for HDD1 and HDD2 that are easily accessed.  I added two 1 TB drives to both of these but I have no idea where the SSD is without tearing the whole laptop apart to find it.  I looked the owners manual and there IS NO mention of removing OR replacing the SSD???

Thanks,

Mark Hansen

1.8K Posts

September 11th, 2014 14:00

The only port left is the mSATA which is located beneath the palmrest. 

1.8K Posts

September 9th, 2014 16:00

Hi!

Try checking the Owner's Manual again. Pages 21 to 30 indicate where the 3 HDD slots are located and how to replace them.

7 Posts

September 9th, 2014 20:00

In the primary hard drive slot is the 768 GB hard drive, in the secondary hard drive slot is nothing. and in the third hard drive slot is the DVD/BD drive.  That's all three slots.

Like I said before, where is the SSD drive installed?????

7 Posts

September 11th, 2014 15:00

That would be it.  How do I get to it?  Do I need to remove alot of stuff to get to it?

And, thanks for the reply.

Thanks,

Mark

1.8K Posts

September 11th, 2014 17:00

Yes, removing the palmrest requires advanced disassembly. We recommend having a Dell Certified Technician install the new part.

No Events found!