Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

J

December 20th, 2015 12:00

Area 51 fails to boot after windows update

This started happening yesterday. Windows Update had installed an update automatically and I told it to update and shutdown. When I turn it back on again after the update, it says it cannot startup, and give me the usual recovery options. Repair didn't work. I had to completely wipe the system (the option to keep my files didn't work) to get back to a working system.

Since then, I tried running windows update on the new fresh system, but that broke it again and I had to reset the system again. I have to turn off windows update now or it will attempt to install the bad update again and I'll have to reset again.

Also, now the system is missing all of the dell apps, from the recovery and support apps to the DVD/BlueRay player.

My system:

• Area 51
  • Windows 10 Home, 64-bit
  • 16GB RAM
  • Core i7-5960X CPU @ 3GHz

6 Posts

December 21st, 2015 16:00

I have the second version, the one shaped like a big triangle with flattened points.

7 Technologist

• 

4.4K Posts

December 21st, 2015 16:00

Hi,

Just to confirm, do you have the Alienware Area 51 R1 (the first revision)?

7 Technologist

• 

4.4K Posts

December 23rd, 2015 09:00

Hi,

Thanks for confirming that. I recommend doing a clean installation of Windows (deleting and creating new partitions) using the recovery media from Windows that you may have received with the system. Make sure to install all of the system drivers first before doing any of the Windows updates, is this what you do did when you wiped the system?

6 Posts

December 24th, 2015 00:00

Yes, i did a clean install, completely wiped the system drive. Same thing. I can't get windows update to stop installing the update, and as soon as it does, the next restart makes the system unbootable again, requiring another reset' wiping all of my files. This has made mybsystem unusable for the past week.

7 Technologist

• 

4.4K Posts

December 30th, 2015 08:00

Hi,

Try disabling the Windows automatic updates and install them manually. Click here to view a Microsoft article that explains how to do this.

1 Message

February 10th, 2016 16:00

I have the same problem.. installing them manually when you have more than half of gig of updates is impractical.  You should have a test lab with one of these machines at Dell to confirm this issue and provide some REAL support.  Deferring the issue of your hardware to Microsoft is unprofessional.

No Events found!