Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

July 27th, 2017 18:00

Can't update bios on my Alienware Area 51 R2

Hello there, 

I have recently been trying to update my drivers through the dell system detect and found out I needed to upgrade from A01 to A12. It would not let me so I did my research, and found out I need to upgrade in order. I managed to find all of the previous files from A02-A12. When I try to open any of the update .exe I just get an error saying "Can't open file". I tried to do a power drain as suggested in another topic I read and open the file, but it still says "Can't open file". I am currently running Windows 10. 

July 28th, 2017 04:00

Hi .

i guess you meen this Thread here:

Cant update Area 51 R2 Bios 

here is how i Updated my A51:

A01 > A03 > A08 > A10 > A11.

you don't have to install all BIOS Versions. you can Skip most of them. i believe even all of them but it's up to you.

now about your Problem:

you downloaded the File, then you right Click on it and open it as Admin and then you get the Windows Error Message with Red Cross saying "Can't open File". is that correct?

try to Update BIOS via Bootable USB Flash Drive. create the Drive with DDDP for Example

2 Posts

July 28th, 2017 06:00

Yes that is correct I right click them, and open them as Admin and I get a Windows Error Message saying "Can't open File".

July 28th, 2017 07:00

that is weird. never saw something like this before. usually i would say try with Compatibility Mode but i wouldn't do that with a BIOS EXE. who knows what happens.

try to Update via USB. it is a Bit more Work but i think it is more Save then messing with the EXE File in Windows.

No Events found!