Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

April 11th, 2012 14:00

M17X-R3 - 3D 120hz screen install

Hi all,

I recently purchased a M17X-R3 and recieved it today.  In the spec sheet, it was listed as having a 1920x1080 120hz WLED FHD screen, which is the main reason i decided to order it.  Much to my dismay, the screen was not as i ordered...it was capped 1600x900 and 60hz.  I downloaded the newest drivers from nvidia and installed just to play it safe, and still have the same limitations on the screen....so i know it was the screen being the issue.  All the other spec's of the machine seem to be correct (560m GTX, i7 2620, 750gb hard drive etc. etc.)

I called Dell tech support, and they confirmed the monitor is incorrect, and the correct part would be ordered to a local dell tech so he could install it for me.  I've read other places on the internet, that say that you can not install 3D/120hz monitors on a laptop that cannot support them...so i guess my concern is, do certain models of the M17x-R3 have a different chipset specifically that can perform this?  I would assume the refresh rate is still controlled via the video card just like a standard desktop PC??  I guess my concern is do i wait 5 days for a tech, which may not solve the issue - or should i just call back and ask for an exchange of the correct item?

Thanks for any help you can provide

-Jason

4 Posts

That i'm not sure - but it's exactly what i'm trying to figure out.  I know in order for 120hz to work properly, you need a 120hz compliant monitor (which i don't have at the moment), and a video card capable of producing a 120hz refresh rate (which i do have).  

I just want to know if Dell has another way of limiting or preventing the video card from producing 120hz, even if the monitor that i get installed is the correct monitor.  I know if all else fails, i can get the laptop replaced...but i'd really like to know if both the tech and myself are about to waste both our times.

191 Posts

Didnt the 3d version have a manual switching gpu while the non-3d version have optimus?

500 Posts

Not fun getting a different product than you ordered. I, myself, having the 3D 120hz screen I know that it can be fun to play around with 3d movies and games. :)

The support concern that a lot of people are referring to is the proper GPU. the 580m is definitely able to support it, and once installed, you should not have any problems.

Did you get nvidia 3d glasses with it as well?

4 Posts

No 3D glasses as i bought this from Dell's Outlet center - it was just the Laptop, battery, and disks.  It did clearly state though that it was a 17.3 WLED FHD 120hz screen in the order i placed.  I'm not sure if possibly the screen was replaced at some point, or they just sent me the wrong machine all together.  My service tag does match up with what was ordered though, but the screen was definitely the wrong model.

This machine has the 560m, which definitely supports the 120hz (i had an older asus that did 120hz with the 260m gtx over a year ago)...so the 560m is a hearty upgrade.  No one on dell's support end argued with me, they all agreed the screen was wrong.  Like i said though, i'm more concerned if i'm wasting my time if a dell comes out with the right screen, and there's differences between m17x-r3 models that can actually control the refresh rate outside the video card.

500 Posts

April 11th, 2012 15:00

Sorry, I read 580m when it said 560m. My contacts were not kind to me lol.

Once they update the monitor you should have no problems. There are different drivers and bios to install, but overall should have no issue. I would make sure that the tech installs the drivers and bios for you so that you do not have to mess with it. otherwise, simply check out the dell downloads site.

4 Posts

April 13th, 2012 07:00

Just to update you all - the monitor swap worked and i'm in 120hz bliss.

So apparently there are 2 ports on the system-board - the LVDS port (supporting optimus) and the eDP port (which supports 120hz/3D).  The current monitor, of course, was plugged into the LVDS port and after the new monitor was installed it went into the eDP port, which completely bypasses the internal GPU.  Upon booting back into the bios, the internal GPU apparently disables itself when nothing is plugged into the LVDS port, so the nvidia card is now recognized as the only card.  Once in windows, i re-installed the drivers..rebooted again, and the 120hz option was now present.

Very happy that this went as smoothly as it did!

500 Posts

April 13th, 2012 19:00

Glad to hear that it went well :)

No Events found!