Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

January 8th, 2017 05:00

Recommended NVIDIA graphics cards for Alienware Aurora R1 (2009 model)

I recently purchased a very clean Aurora R1 (built October 2009). Has the following specs (as given by the seller):

Water cooled Intel i7 920 8mb cache eight core gaming PC running at 3.2ghz factory settings.

Has a Radeon 6950 series graphics card with a 6970 BIOS installed to enable the switched off pipelines. 

24gb Gskill ddr3-1333mhz Tri-channel

I would update the graphics card in the future if I was keeping it. The PSU is a high power unit and has 2x6pin & 2x6/8 pin so 4 graphics card power cables in total. You can run graphics cards in tandem (SLI).

I am getting blue screens with the Dell Radeon graphics driver and would prefer an NVIDIA graphics card. Can anyone kindly recommend a decent card. I am not a gamer, but want to use this PC for scanning old photos/slides and video editing.

Will any series 400 or 500 work please?

Many thanks in advance.

3 Apprentice

• 

4.4K Posts

January 9th, 2017 11:00

Hi,

The Nvidia 580 will be the highest supported video card for your model. But it should unofficially work as well with the newest cards like 1060/1070/1080/Titan X (875W PSU).

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

January 10th, 2017 12:00

Aurora R1 (built October 2009). 
Intel i7 920 
Radeon 6950 series graphics card
24gb Gskill ddr3-1333mhz Tri-channel
PSU is a high power unit

I would update the graphics card ... and would prefer an NVIDIA graphics card.

For my Aurora-R1, after some research I just ordered this:

MSI NVidia GTX-1070 GAMING-X 8G

Looks like a nice build with:
10-Phase power and high-temp Japanese caps, nice cooling (Twin Frozr VI, all parts are heat-sinked), metal back-plate ... even some OC-ing if you must.

Bundled software is nice too with AfterBurner, DX12-OSD and PiP (Dragon Eye)

What’s missing? Looks like eVGA is not the only one who can make a nice NVidia video card.

This GAMING-X card clocks a bit higher than plain GAMING card. I will likely just run it in “Silent Mode” which is a preset down-clock back to reference-1070 clocks. There is also a “Gaming Mode” which is a mild-OC, and a full-out “OC-Mode”.

My current specs are also in sig below:
Intel i7-930 with 12gb tri-channel ram
Intel x58-chipset MB with PCIe_v2.0 & Legacy BIOS
SSD
875w PS

Lets' see how long I can keep this machine running, relevant, gaming, and useful.

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

January 11th, 2017 10:00

That is very interesting, good luck! These big Auroras were built like the proverbial brick outside lavatory, so with love and care will be good for a number of years I am sure.

Thanks.

Not sure what your budget is, or if you will be gaming heavily on it, but MSI also makes this card. The NVidia-1060 GPU is just slightly less powerful than a 1070, but it looks like this card sells for about 50% less. It has less RAM, but even 3gb is good (even if gaming). You only need one last card for this machine to see it through to the end of it's useful life-span...

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

January 11th, 2017 11:00

I will be using it for video production, and processing huge RAW photo files, rather than gaming.

GPU and RAM requirements are similar (video/photo and gaming). Just follow the hardware recommendations of software applications.

I suggest a new video card over a used one. There is no telling how much longer a used card will work 100% properly. Or if it's even 100% now (if buying on sites like eBay).

I also recommend a SSD (at least on Windows bootable C:). Install those apps on it also, as well as any dedicated application "swap files". Final rendered photos and videos can be stored on larger spinning drives, NAS, etc.

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

January 15th, 2017 13:00

The MSI Nvidia GXT-1070 Gaming-X 8gb seems to be working fine in my old Aurora-R1. No problems with Legacy BIOS posting, only PCIe-v2.0 lanes, older Intel-i7 processor, etc.

Machine was blown-out with air-compressor before install. It does not exhaust out the back, so I removed the Aurora's black-plastic hinged cover

It's a really heavy card. It’s about 1 inch taller than AMD-5870 …. Meaning, the LED-lit MSI logo is about 1 inch higher than screws that mount the card. Still, no problems with it fitting.

Windows-10 loaded a very recent (late 2016) NVidia WHQL driver … a full driver with NVidia Control Panel. I also installed MSI's Gaming App 6.x. Easy setup.

I was getting like 130fps in Heaven benchmark. The GTX-1070 fans were not even turning for the first few minutes (by design with "Zero Frozr" on). In general, the machine is noticeably quieter now.

Fallout-4 Auto-Detected (and nicely playable) 1080p video settings went from:
AMD-5870 : Low
to
GTX-1070 : Ultra
(passed-up Medium and High)

Here, you can see it's about an inch "taller" than Reference Design (notice hold-down screw-plate).

Edit: Pics got lost during forum migration, so I put them back in.

January 10th, 2017 02:00

Many thanks, I will get a 580 card, much appreciated.

January 11th, 2017 02:00

That is very interesting, good luck! These big Auroras were built like the proverbial brick outside lavatory, so with love and care will be good for a number of years I am sure.

January 11th, 2017 10:00

I will be using it for video production, and processing huge RAW photo files, rather than gaming. But the card is still very important as I need to see the quality of my images in best possible detail. The new NVidia cards are amazing, but so are the prices in the UK. Many thanks for your advice.

January 12th, 2017 02:00

Thanks very much for your wise words of advice, I shall follow them!

No Events found!