Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

G

November 30th, 2014 10:00

What causes my display driver to stop working half a dozen times through-out the day when I am on Facebook?

What causes my display driver to stop working half a dozen times through-out the day when I am on Facebook? It claims to have fixed the problem but everything except the close button on my browser and FB freezes and the only way to continue is to close it. Then open the browser (latest of FireFox browsers) and start all over! This has been going on for a couple months now. I have an Inspiron M531R laptop with Windows 8.1 that this is happening on. Only had the computer since bought it new in Feb. 2014. Any suggestions / answers / help would be appreciated! [:^)]

7 Technologist

• 

7.1K Posts

November 30th, 2014 22:00

Hi gilbert36,

I would suggest you to uninstall and reinstall the video card driver from Dell website as these drivers are tested on the Dell system. Please follow the steps mentioned below to uninstall the video card.

1. Open the charms bar by moving the mouse to right top corner of the screen and in the search box, Start typing devmgmt.msc and then press enter.
  2. Select the Display adapters listed and right click on it.
  3. Now select properties.
  4. In the properties window, under Driver tab, click on Uninstall button.
  5. Check “Delete the driver software for this device.”
  6. You want to delete the driver click OK.

After the uninstall finishes restart the system. Then reinstall the video card driver on the system for issue resolution. Please enter your service tag # on the link below, select the OS, then download the video card drivers from Video section onto the system and install it.

http://dell.to/18r60nI

Please let me know if this helps.

1 Rookie

• 

90 Posts

December 1st, 2014 06:00

Gilbert - is this the dreaded "The display driver has stopped working and has been restarted." message?

cg

6 Posts

December 1st, 2014 09:00

Yes, I believe that is the exact wording. Why is did you say "dreaded"? Meaning something really bad or just silly?   [:)]

6 Posts

December 1st, 2014 10:00

Hi Dell-Ravi BC! Thanks for your reply. Another question....If I uninstall the driver software for the display adapters then on restarting the system how will my display be working to allow me to see to choose to re-install the driver software? Won't that basically disable my display / video card?

7 Technologist

• 

7.1K Posts

December 4th, 2014 23:00

Hi gilbert36,

Only basic video card drivers are loaded by the operating system if you uninstall the video card drivers on the system.

1 Rookie

• 

90 Posts

December 6th, 2014 14:00

I use my laptop for development.  I have been fighting Windows, Dell, AMD, and the beasts of hell trying to resolve this issue.  Most of the time, the driver stops, resets, and the worst thing is that it just flickers.  Today, it's locked up with a black screen.  I'm on my second motherboard and third graphics card - I think.  I'm not sure if the 2nd tech who broke my system ever swapped the motherboard (I didn't watch him).

Dreaded is how much time I have wasted with a PREMIUM laptop from Dell.  My next course of action is to return the unit to depot.  With that said, if you do some research on this issue, you will find that this has been a chronic problem with Windows 7, Windows 8 and NVidea / AMD cards.  There's all sorts of hocus pocus nonsense going on - like re-installing drivers.

Now, no offense Ravi, but this is about the silliest suggestion you can make to a customer.  The only thing sillier is to reinstall Windows.  Why do I feel this way?  Well, when I bought my 4700, Dell only shipped drivers for the 4000M card.  Since then - you're now shipping the 4700M - but Dell has never updated the drivers.  Worse, I see OTHER Dell tech's suggesting people go to AMD's site for the latest drivers.  You people so silly.

This problem has been on going for AT LEAST 3 YEARS.  FIX IT.

Gilbert - do you use your laptop in multi-display mode?  I've found that if I leave my external monitor disconnected (hdmi - sort of has issues, displayport is bat *** crazy), it's more stable.  I'd like to know.

6 Posts

December 6th, 2014 17:00

Hi CGILLEY! Thanks for that info. Wow, I have always been a fan of the AMD computers and that is one of the reasons I got this one. With what you have said makes me think I made a mistake with this one. You said you wanted to know if I used an external monitor with my laptop...No, I do not and have never even tried that even though I knew it was supposed to be able to do that. And now I wish I had purchased the extended warranty that for financial reasons  I did not purchase, lol! Oh boy! Come to think of it I did have a display problem with an HP / AMD computer previously and uninstalling and reinstalling the drivers is exactly what they had me do with it and never did fix the issue.

7 Technologist

• 

7.1K Posts

December 13th, 2014 08:00

Hi gilbert36,

I hope the previous steps of uninstalling and reinstalling video card drivers have fixed the issue.

1 Rookie

• 

90 Posts

December 26th, 2014 07:00

Hi Gilbert!  Merry Christmas. 

I finally resolved my issue by purchasing an M4700 off ebay.  This one is slightly different - i7 code, but same graphics card, display, a little different wireless.  Guess what?  Not a single "Display Driver has stopped working" burp since I've started using it.  And this is with the same solid state disk drive I was using in my misbehaving model.  So, I believe I have localized the issue to the unit.  My gut feel is that the laptop makers, the video chip makers and Microsoft are doing this little dance with no one taking responsibility.

FWIW, I don't think you made a mistake buying Dell - in my search to resolve this issue, this problem has been on going for 3+ years, across both NVidea and AMD, and HP, MSI, Dell, etc.  I believe its a systemic issue, since so many of the players use the same basic components.

Ravi - you might forward this discussion to someone in management who actually cares.  I don't buy Dell because of price - they are not the cheapest, but I do buy their quality.  My perception is changing in that Dell's brand is becoming a commodity - meaning lowest price is all that matters.

2 Posts

December 28th, 2014 17:00

Hi

I have Alienware 17 I7-4710MQ with AMD RADEON R9 M290X.Problem is with message "The display driver has stopped working and has been restarted.". At first I had a win 8.1, I switched to Windows 7, and I tried several versions of drivers, with of course uninstall / install procedure, but without success. The only difference is that in Win 8.1 computer freezes while the Windows 7 freezes only program making it easier to re-start the same program. Programs in which this happens are various graphical programs for 2D and 3D graphics. With a lot of thirty years of experience and a few months try to resolve prpblema can say as cgilley that the environmental problem drivers who are badly written.

No Events found!