Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

B

June 19th, 2017 11:00

Windows 10 lag/delay when pressing Windows button/File explorer

hello everyone,

I am having a frustrating issue with lag/delay on my alienware 13 r3. whenever I click on the windows button or the file explorer, I get a delay/lag of a second or two then the PC responds. I do not have any of these issues on my other PC's Surface Pro, Surface Book, or Lenovo at work. its frustrating because my gaming PC is the highest speced PC but has this frustrating lag/delay on windows 10. no problems when gaming thank god. does anyone have a solution to this?

thank you

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

June 19th, 2017 11:00

Does it only happen when you first start using the laptop? If so, it might be the Power Profile's hard-drive sleep/spin-down setting. Increase it or disable. BTW, it only apples to spinning drives.

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

June 19th, 2017 12:00

Have you tried disconnecting all USB devices and drives (other than main SSD).

If this is the only thing that's slow, it sounds like it's running into a bit of a snag enumerating all the available drives. Maybe even a network drive.

Are you using Microsoft Login (online) or a plain local (offline) login?

3 Posts

June 19th, 2017 12:00

Hi Tesla1856,

It happens whenever the PC is idle for a few minutes, it also happens when I login to windows, I type in my pin and the keys are also delayed/lagged. My PC has 1t SSD no spin drive.

3 Posts

June 19th, 2017 14:00

I have just disconnected all my USB devices (gaming mouse) and restarted the PC, the problem still persists sadly. 

I have check the Microsoft Login setting in the control panel but I cant find anything that shows if its online or local. however, I can tell you that I can login to my machine several times without an internet connection.

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

June 20th, 2017 04:00

If its not shell based rootkit malware its the WINDOWS 10 shut everything down to crash save power nonsense every 20 minutes.  Set the Power options and Advanced options to HIGH PERFORMANCE and NEVER SLEEP and Shut display off after 480 minutes from 20.

No Events found!