Start a Conversation

Unsolved

August 10th, 2023 23:16

3 Apprentice

• 

4.4K Posts

February 2nd, 2018 10:00

Hi @Sam20081990,

You can upgrade to 120Hz but not to 144Hz. In this case, the Gsync will work since the computer originally came with it, but otherwise, updating to a screen with Gsync would not work, since the motherboard is different.

"Does it support Gsync monitor with higher refresh rate than what is available with the native laptop screen?" With an external monitor yes: gsync enabled, direct mini display port (no dongles or adapters).

February 17th, 2018 16:00

Hi, have a similar question. have just purchased my 15" r3 with GTX 1080 and I7 7820HK. I'm thinking along similar lines, would like to upgrade to a 120Hz display as i couldn't see one available at purchase. only the IGZO UHD display was available (other than 1080p 60Hz that i have purchased).

My question , does Dell sell and/or install a 120Hz display?

July 24th, 2018 09:00

Dear Eimy,

Could you guide me as to how I can upgrade to a 120Hz G-Sync panel. If I take it to a dell service center will a representative from Alienware be able to upgrade it? I am okay with the pricing, else I have to plan to get a new gaming laptop.

I am currently posted in Indonesia - a prompt reply like last time will be greatly appreciated because i am tired of having a powerful laptop but unable to see the smoothness of the frames (Limited to only 60Hz as 120Hz was not available at the time of purchase.) The Alienware 15 R3 is a great laptop better than many new ones coming out now from other vendors but is limited by the screen refresh rate.

If the upgrade works I am planning to get an Alienware Graphics Amplifier as well and hook my laptop to a Nvidia GTX1080 Ti.

July 24th, 2018 20:00

Apparently Dell does allow you to upgrade the screen. There is a catch, if you do not have a G-Sync panel even if you upgrade to a G-Sync panel the G-Sync function will not work.

If you do have G-Sync panel during purchase only then is the upgrade to 120Hz G-Sync panel recommended. The G-Sync processor which is generally embedded in the G-Sync monitor is part of the motherboard in Alienware if you have G-Sync supported panel. 

If the panel does not support G-Sync the entire motherboard may need to be changed.

I am currently in the process of getting my screen upgraded from 60Hz G-Sync to 120Hz G-Sync. Had called up dell support in Indonesia, wherein they informed that it is possible. Will update this string if it is successful.

2 Posts

July 31st, 2018 03:00

So...was it successful? Because recently I was also thinking about upgrading my Alienware ,since my LCD cracked .

August 5th, 2018 02:00

nope got the screen but is does not work. The backlight turns off when i log into windows it was a 1920*1080 FHD IPS panel with 120Hz refresh rate. I am not sure about the compatibility. I think for high refresh rate with G-sync only TN panel is supported...

1 Message

August 17th, 2018 15:00

So can Dell provide us with these screens at a cost and install them or do we have to buy purchase the screens ourselves and install them ourselves?

1 Rookie

• 

20 Posts

October 17th, 2019 20:00

im also doing a screen upgrade for my alienware r3 i7 7700 gtx 1070, are you saying that a 30 pins and 144hz pannel not work? or it may even work, but it only shows on 120hz?

i managed to find a pannel 144hz 30 pins... if you put the pannel, go work 144hz, 120hz or not go any picture?

because i also tried a 120hz IPS, but not give windows image with my nvidia driver, i disable driver and i have image, i enable driver, and image off, is black screen windows... i changed display for one TN panel 120hz inolux, and i have image 120hz on nvidia driver open on device manager, but i bui other display to 144hz IPS 30 pin...

i load that works...

No Events found!