Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

August 17th, 2020 05:00

13 R3, yet another motherboard fried

Hi I have the same problem like this guy. Dell Technical Support is not helpful at all because they only want to sell their repair services.

I had a chat with a very competent US sales support engineer named Syed Saifuddin. He suggested I should contact Dell Germany via owr_services@dell.com and I had a very unpleasant experience since then. My support ticket got closed without a notification and my questions remain unanswered. I hope the community can help me somehow.

What causes this sudden mainboard defect?
It's probably not a usage or age related problem but some factory design mistake Dell is unable to admit. There are many more people having that problem.

Burnt motherboardBurnt motherboardReset pinsReset pins

Community Manager

• 

2.6K Posts

December 8th, 2022 10:00

Hi! If you're in warranty and looking for support because of your motherboard or any other technical issues, click on Get Help Now on the bottom of the page to chat with an agent.

GHN.PNG

14 Posts

August 17th, 2020 08:00

The German Dell service is absolutely rubbish.

I speak from first hand experience. Not only are they slow to respond, they seem either uniformed or unwilling to help. Whether you are under warranty or not, it's just .. wow. 

I had severe problems with overheating, some about which I've emailed Intel back and forth and they had to escalate the issue as they were a bit perplexed as to why this was happening. In the end, we realised it was due to the poor Alienware manufacturing job, and Dell's denial about and unwillingness to fix my problem, coupled with several others reporting the same exact issue, only made it more obvious, to me at least, that they are hoping our systems fry so they can turn more profit on replacing parts or selling a new system altogether.

I mean, that is rather obvious when a 1 yr warranty extension costs upwards of €500.

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

August 18th, 2020 00:00

I can't afford a replacement right now and it doesn't make sense to buy a replacement part for a poorly designed laptop.

5 Practitioner

• 

3.1K Posts

Yeeesh,

have you tried buying a replacement board and then reinstalling it yourself?

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

@ShiroikamuiThank you for sharing.your experience. I could try to contact the US support once again for more information about this problem.

14 Posts

August 18th, 2020 06:00

Yeah, I am not sure why they are so abysmal here.

When I first had a question about the keying patterns on all the M.2 ports, they had to escalate the issue to like, 3 different people to see if anybody knew!

I mean, for a company that sells laptops wort upward of €4000, they should have all of this information on hand and maybe send it in a postcard, covered in gold, arriving in less than 1 hour, with a homemade cookie and a Starbucks latte to boot.

5 Practitioner

• 

3.1K Posts

August 18th, 2020 10:00

Wait,

You guys get lattes?

AND Fresh Homemade Cookies?

I'm just kidding,

So how did the motherboard fry itself?

I mean was it because of heat or a electrical issue?

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

August 19th, 2020 04:00

There was no heat involved and no excessive use.

I was working on my emails and suddenly the system crashed in an instant. No life sign at all. Not even power leds. I searched for solutions online.

I tried a uefi reset by shorting the 2 pins you see in the second image above.
That's when I noticed the smell of burnt electronics.

It could be planned obsolescence but that's hard to proof unfortunately.

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

August 20th, 2020 11:00

I can't edit my posts anymore. Do you know why?

5 Practitioner

• 

3.1K Posts

August 20th, 2020 12:00

I don’t know why, I’ve never been able to edit them.

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

August 21st, 2020 11:00

I asked a moderator but got - as usual - no answer. I wish there was some kind of copyright for the posts a user creates. I think there is a term in the forum rules - but TLDR. I have no legal knowledge in this regard. When I write a post Dell claims the authorship and changes the contents to meet their requirements. I understand that some of my phrases were inappropriate and misleading for future customers and removing them is important for Dell but being unable to edit anything is unfair to say the least.

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

August 21st, 2020 11:00

Dell changed my account settings so I can't edit the posts directly after posting! I think they'll lock this thread and my account soon but I still hope there's a nicer solution for the benefit of the community.

5 Practitioner

• 

3.1K Posts

August 21st, 2020 18:00

They won’t lock your account if you hadn’t done anything bad.

No Events found!