Start a Conversation

Unsolved

D

4 Posts

October 27th, 2019 06:00

15 R1, BIOS update failed

Hiya,

i’ve just got an BIOS update from the update centre. Let the update run and for about 3-4 hours the laptop was running frozen with full fans on.

I had nothing run in in the background as the update came as soon I logged in  

Decided to unplug the laptop as I’ve done a BIOS update before and know it shouldn’t rake that long. The laptop does not boot any more. I’ve tired the pressing hold the power button and tried removing the CMOS battery. Still does not boot. Can you please help !!

Why would an update from dell brick the motherboard this doesn’t make sense. Would really appreciate any help as I have work that needs to be done using the laptop. 

4 Operator

• 

6.2K Posts

October 27th, 2019 06:00

Welcome to the Dell Community  @Dev089 

When you say "The laptop does not boot any more."

Do you mean it will not boot to Windows???

Does the "Dell" splash appear???

Are you able to access the BIOS???

To better assist you, the members would need the exact model number of your laptop/desktop???

Identify your Dell:

https://www.dell.com/support/contents/us/en/04/category/product-support/self-support-knowledgebase/locate-service-tag?dgc=SM&cid=226210&lid=spr2429124398&linkId=69606563

Best regards,

U2

PLEASE DO NOT POST ANY SERVICE TAGS!!!

4 Posts

October 27th, 2019 07:00

Hiya, 

Thank you for getting back.

So when I switch on, black screen appears stays that way for a while and then restarts again.

No the dell splash doesn’t appear nor can I access the bios either

Apologies, poor choice of words from my side.

November 2nd, 2019 07:00

Same issue for me. A $2000 laptop is now a brick.

November 2nd, 2019 07:00

I should also add that it restarts over and over, but without anything in the screen. 

4 Posts

November 3rd, 2019 01:00

Yup same problem. Been trying a million different “solutions” but no joy

4 Posts

November 7th, 2019 12:00

Update* I’ve had a local computer repair place have a look at the laptop and they fixed it without replacing the mobo. This will be the last time I’ll ever do a dell BIOS update

2 Posts

April 27th, 2021 21:00

can u please tell what did he do?...the local technician....i m also facing the same problem

7 Technologist

• 

6.1K Posts

April 28th, 2021 04:00

Always install BIOS version updates incrementally (one version at a time) so that all the BIOS features are installed, and the system is not bricked. This clarification is included in the Dell video, Update your BIOS. 

7 Technologist

• 

6.1K Posts

April 28th, 2021 04:00

Hi @dr raj  welcome to this user to user discussion forum. This is not Dell Support. 

There are BIOS update fails to complete problems, e.g. if update over the internet and/or if not on ac adapter power with all other devices removed, etc. Then it is possible for Dell Notebook to get into a perpetual BIOS update loop issue to try and complete the update, whose fix is elusive. Please note that this issue is not exclusive to Dell systems, as a search on the internet will reveal. However, Dell systems have been customised with fail safe systems such as SupportAssist and F12 BIOS flash update from from Recovery USB, and F2 BIOS roll back. Despite these additional Dell features, it is still possible to have BIOS update fails to complete problems. 

Have a look at the Dell Community thread "Failed BIOS update resulted in Boot Loop, Recovery steps unclear" Here.  Please note that this is not marked as being a Solution. See also, How to Recover BIOS on Dell System, using key combination ctrl + esc, to get BIOS Recovery window to appear. If that does not work, try:-

(1) Remove any residual (flea) power from the system board. Remove all connected devices including ac adapter, open rear cover and disconnect main battery, then hold down power-on button for about a minute. 

(2) In the RAM slot, having removed the RAM card(s), look for two bright spots on the system board surface, with neighbouring text (CMOS1, CLRP1, etc.) to short out the CMOS (coin) battery and clear the BIOS memory to ensure BIOS actually gets reset. Short out process is achieved by bridging the two bright spots with a metal object, such as screw driver's flat blade. 

(3) Then reinstall RAM card(s), re-connect main battery, preplace rear cover and connect the ac adapter. Power on and hopefully, POST completes and the Boot splash screen appears, so that log-on into operating system is possible.  

Please click on Kudos to say thank you for response from another user. Please share an update on progress, so that other users derive benefit from your experience. Thank you. 

2 Posts

April 28th, 2021 05:00

i tried all this but nothing is working....it just shows black screen and keeps on restarting

i should have never done that bios update from dell......it ruined mine laptop

is there any other way to recover my bios

No Events found!