Start a Conversation

Unsolved

D

3 Posts

March 5th, 2019 21:00

15 R3, overheating, need help

Purchased an Alienware 15 R3 last year and its still under the 1 year warranty until May of 2019. Ran some stress tests yesterday to see my temps and to my horror my cpu is reaching 100 degrees Celsius. GPU is running fantastic no issues there just incredibly hot cpu temps. Called Alienware support up today and had an agent remote in, run some tests, only to tell me "100 degrees Celsius is completely normal for this computer". I am praying I just got a bad rep because there is no way that is the case. I paid almost $2000 for this beast and want it to run as it should. I have owned 3 other alienware laptops before this and never had any real issues with them and have heard great things about AW tech support but today, that was not the case. Can anyone help me get this issue taken care of? 

-Yes, I have the latest version of my bios,

-Yes, my graphics drivers (and all other drivers) are up to date.

-No, I am not running any kind of overclocking what so ever (bios or otherwise)

-Yes I have followed the steps on this link https://www.dell.com/support/article/us/en/19/sln305033/alienware-15-r3-17-r4-overheat-performance-issues-or-throttling-during-high-cpu-stress?lang=en

(You can clearly see thermal throttling)

CPUTemps.png

March 5th, 2019 23:00

What's your system specs for your 15 R3.. 100'C is NOT accpetable for running say i7 7700HQ and 1070 GTX. Mine doesn't even hit 100'C. Which stress tests?

March 6th, 2019 08:00

I have an  i7 7700HQ and 1070 GTX 16gb ram. I am using the Intel Extreme Tuning Utility to run the stress tests. Although I have used others and it still gets just as high. Also gets nearly that high when gaming.

3 Apprentice

• 

4.4K Posts

March 6th, 2019 09:00

Hi @dcarlson82

Send me a private message with the Service Tag so I can review your case.

March 6th, 2019 14:00

@Alienware-Eimy  thank you so much for reaching out on this matter. I called back in today and spoke with a guy named Victor that re-ran the stress tests today and we hit 101 degrees celcius and he approved the computer be repaired. They are shipping out a box for me to send it in and hopefully get everything fixed. I will update this when the computer is returned, but thank you again so much for offering to look into my issue. I must have just gotten a bad rep the first time. 

March 7th, 2019 10:00

100°C using the Intel XTU stress test is pretty bad and probably need a heatsink or even motherboard replacement.

But in the end, it's just the limit of the laptop, Alienware laptops are not very good at handling thermal, which is also the case for most gaming laptops. 

The only real way to greatly improve your temperature is to repaste using liquid metal + repad but this is extremely difficult and involve a lot of risks. But for me it was worth it (20°C improve in temperature under full load).

March 9th, 2019 01:00

@NamNguyen191 wrote:

100°C using the Intel XTU stress test is pretty bad and probably need a heatsink or even motherboard replacement.

But in the end, it's just the limit of the laptop, Alienware laptops are not very good at handling thermal, which is also the case for most gaming laptops. 

The only real way to greatly improve your temperature is to repaste using liquid metal + repad but this is extremely difficult and involve a lot of risks. But for me it was worth it (20°C improve in temperature under full load).

My 15 R3 doesn't get past 80"C in the stress test for the CPU with the XTU. Think some laptops were made to quick and missed the mating to the CPU/GPU imo. Most one's that are overheating need a new heatsink.

No Events found!