loisma
1 Copper

Re: 15 R4, 2018, How to format

@U2CAMEB4ME 

Could I use this recommended by Dell-Cares, I think it automatically detects missing drivers and installs them all in the correct order? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s2EUR3VzZBI&linkId=76645808

Alienware Windows Installation: Install Drivers Discover the different ways to find drivers in our support website and learn the proper installation order. For more information please visit: dell.com/support Tweet us @Alienwaretech if you have any questions.
0 Kudos
U2CAMEB4ME
4 Ruthenium

@loisma 

"Auto Detect" Is good but has been known to have problems.

"Service Tag" If you are the original owner then you would know of any upgraded hardware.

Meaning if you upgraded the WiFi card, HDD/SSD or installed a WWAN those drivers may not be listed.

"Browse for a Product" You will get the full driver list!!!

Everything that was sold/tested on that model will be listed!!!

I think using the "Service Tag" and the "Order" to install drivers list is the best for most.

Best regards,

U2

Microsoft Registered Refurbisher
Microsoft Registered Partner
Windows Operating System lifecycle fact sheet
Lifecycle begins when released and ends when no longer supported
HP EliteBook 8770w i7-3630QM 32GB
HP ZBook 17 G2 i5-4310M 16GB
0 Kudos
Highlighted
purple397
3 Argentium

U2 obviously knows a good bit about what he is talking about.  Just I had problems with the Microsoft media tool that I downloaded from the M$ site.  Might be something I did in choosing which drive to install too.   I have an M2 and a spinning drive.  

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

All it saves one is doing all the M$ downloads.  I think.  I don't think that the Windows Recovery partition comes with all that.  

I know from experience, that sometimes installing M$ Office can be difficult.  Don't feel shy about getting online to the M$ Office support folks.  Prove the Office you have is yours, and they will remote your computer, and get it working quite quickly. 

I do not recall all of this thread.  Usually there is a place in the BIOS/EFI in the MOBO where one can choose, (if the laptop has two drives) whether to use AHCI or RAID.   I have chosen AHCI.

0 Kudos
U2CAMEB4ME
4 Ruthenium

Welcome to the Dell Community @purple397 

Do you have anything of importance on the HDD???

Can it be formatted and then disconnected???

Try to disconnect the HDD.

Then install W10 to the M.2 SSD. "AHCI set in the BIOS"

After the install and updates are complete connect the HDD.

Boot to Windows and set the HDD as "Default" storage.

Best regards,

U2

Microsoft Registered Refurbisher
Microsoft Registered Partner
Windows Operating System lifecycle fact sheet
Lifecycle begins when released and ends when no longer supported
HP EliteBook 8770w i7-3630QM 32GB
HP ZBook 17 G2 i5-4310M 16GB
0 Kudos