Start a Conversation

Unsolved

C

2 Posts

March 25th, 2020 08:00

17 R1, USB keeps reconnecting

Hello,

I have an Alienware 17 R1 from April 2014. Since I installed Windows 10 and did all the updates including the BIOS, I have USB connecting problems. When I plug in my phone it keeps reconnecting it every second. If I use it on the left side where also my mouse is plugged in, I get this problem. Both USB on the right work for like 20-30 minutes, sometimes longer. I read a lot of topic about these common problems with the USB 3.0. Also, I turned the power safe mode off in the configurations. Does anybody has a solution for this? Maybe back to Windows 8.1 will do it?

Kind regards,

5 Practitioner

• 

1.5K Posts

March 25th, 2020 13:00

Windows 10 should auto-install your drivers but I would head to the Support page and find your USB chipset driver and try installing it manually. It may be an idea to run all the chipset drivers just to be sure. 

Just throw your Service Tag in the Support page. 

March 26th, 2020 10:00

True, but the drivers don't work like they use to work. A lot of Alienware that came from Windows 8.1 have this problem.

5 Practitioner

• 

1.5K Posts

March 26th, 2020 14:00

Yeah Windows 8 was an abomination. I have installed Windows 10 on a few machines that came with Windows 8 and never had much of a problem. I just got two old 17 R1's yesterday that I'm working on and they both have Windows 10 installed. I haven't tested the USB ports yet. 

No Events found!