Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

March 29th, 2019 08:00

17 R3, charges battery while gaming, #2

I have also the same problem while playing strategy games such as Rome II Total War, usually inside battles, with high FPS! I had this problem from long age (I bought my laptop, the same as yours, before 4 years), but not to the extent of the last 1 month or so... I'm playing the above game in extreme graphics and it's really annoying to be forced to lower them!

20 Posts

March 29th, 2019 16:00

I have changed battery settings in the energy options --> Max Power on battery mode for GPU.

I updated Bios + Graphic card driver and its better now but the problem is not gone. I think that battery and/or charger are getting weaker over the time and maybe they could not provide enough power to do this (thats only a guess):

Hybrid Power Design

Battery discharge is an expected behavior of hybrid design on the Alienware 15 R3, R4, 17 R4, R5, m15 and m17 systems.

The design intent of Hybrid Power is to allow the Alienware 15 R3, R4, 17 R4, R5, m15 and m17 systems to maintain full system performance under extreme heavy loading conditions. It does this by allowing power to be drawn from system battery for up to 5%/hr with the AC adapter plugged in.

Under a heavy loading environment, the system may be stressed to pull more power than the designed system power profiles allow for. In order to accommodate the additional power needs under heavy loading, the battery will be triggered to provide additional amounts of power to the system. This occurs without throttling the system performance. Due to this you may experience slight drops of the battery capacity (up to 5%/hr) even when the AC adapter is connected. If and when the remaining battery capacity is lower than 20%, then Hybrid Power will be disabled to prevent further battery drop and potential system performance issues (stuttering/lagging/throttling) may be seen.

3 Posts

March 29th, 2019 08:00

Hello, i am also experiencing the same problem... I am also playing Rome II Total War and the battery of my Dell Alienware 17R3 starts to drop. I see the same battery symbol inside the game that is showing the gradual draining of my battery. I didn't have this issue to that extent. I have this laptop more than 4 years, this problem was always there, but not to that extent. Usually the charger managed to overcome this temporal (to say so) draining. I confirm that this is happenig in high fps...usually inside battles when playing above game. Lately I encountered this problem in other games too (''Submerged'' for example). The label of my charger says that is between 100-240V Is there any possible solution...cs this is very annoying!

3 Posts

March 30th, 2019 03:00

Hi, and thanks for quick reply. How can I do the same settings? Pls guide me...more thoroughly...

20 Posts

March 31st, 2019 05:00

Good to hear that this helped you also. Idk if you have already found the option but its here: Open the Alienware Command Center --> AlienFusion --> Advanced Settings --> Option Max Power for GPU on battery Mode. Happy Gaming :)
No Events found!