Start a Conversation

Unsolved

D

2 Posts

March 7th, 2020 12:00

17 R3, plugged in but not charging, #5

I have an alienware 17 r3,  bought because the battery was dead. Took a chance because it would be an easy fix.  I have replaced the battery twice but still comes up with "plugged in but not charging". The battery is 100% charged, but if I take the power cord out, the computer turns full off.  I have bought a replacement dc jack but seems the pin set on it is short by 2, I plugged it in anyways to see if it would work but gives me the same issue.  The bios is fully updated also.  The only thing i have not done is gotten an new charger for it.  The wattage on the charger is 180w, i have used another one with the same watt but it doesnt do anything. Not sure if i need to go higher. But since the other charger came from a similar alienware 17 r3, i figured it didnt matter. Now if this is a mobo issue, is there a way to repair it.  Where the dc jack plugs into the mobo i do not see burn marks.

Thanks

4 Operator

• 

6.4K Posts

March 9th, 2020 06:00

"I have bought a replacement dc jack but seems the pin set on it is short by 2, I plugged it in anyways"

-------------------------------------------- 

Check status of the AC adapter in BIOS to see if it is detected. If the adapter isn't detected, computer will continue to received power but will not charge the battery.

1. Power off system

2. Power on system, quickly start tapping F2 key continuously until you see the BIOS setup. 

The adapter should says it's type (180 W) in BIOS. If adapter says None or Unknown then I suspect you purchased the wrong DC Jack

Dell Alienware 17 R3 DC Jack How-To Video Tutorial ( Parts People)

https://youtu.be/Zb5_gf8FU9Y

March 24th, 2020 00:00

The f2 function key andnf2 keys doesnt work at all on the alienware 17 r3. 

The power jack is the original jack.

I have tried to replace the dc jack inside the computer but am coming to an issue finding the right pin size for the computer. Seems I have a 13 pin and everyone has a 9pin

No Events found!