Start a Conversation

Unsolved

P

1 Message

June 26th, 2019 02:00

17 R4, AC adapter not recognized

I've had my laptop for around 10 months now and recently I've had bios message saying that the AC adapter is not recognized and it doesn't charge when plugged in. Its really frustrating because it caps the CPU at 0.7 GHz so i cant do much.

1 Message

June 28th, 2019 16:00

We just had to buy a new supply out of warranty for our 13 R3.

I suspect they're just not up to the power demands of the laptops... design flaw or poor design if you will.

I've never once had to replace an HP power supply at work over 15 years and 2500 units.

Probably will never buy a Dell or Alienware again. Customer care was willing to give us 10% off ... but was hardly worth the hassle.

Good luck.

4 Operator

• 

6.2K Posts

June 29th, 2019 10:00

Welcome to the Dell Community  @pg3346 

There have been reports of the "Center Pin" at the DC jack breaking at the solder joint.

Bad AC.PNG

The "Black Arrows ↓ ↑ " indicate where the solder joints are located.

With the unit powered on have the message showing that it is plugged in but not charging on your desktop.

Without moving the jack inside the unit.

Try moving the end of the AC jack at the location indicated by the "Red Arrows ↓↑ "

Watch for any change in the message on the desktop.

Best regards,

U2

July 10th, 2019 14:00

i am facing the same problem with my Alien ware 17 R 4 i got this problem last month but yesterday i got windows this July 9, 2019(OS Build 18362.239) update after this the problem is solved but after 24 hrs the problem started again please reply me if you find solution.i have used the solution u said but its temporary not permanent

3 Apprentice

• 

4.4K Posts

July 11th, 2019 10:00

Hi @harryhulk433

Send me a private message (by clicking my Alienware-name) with the Alienware PC service tag number so I can review your case.

No Events found!