Start a Conversation

Unsolved

R

1 Message

May 5th, 2020 18:00

17 R4, Replaced HDD and cant get factory settings

I have an alienware 17r4 that was running extremely slowly so i tried to do a system restore, turns out the hard drive had nearly completely failed. I replaced the hard drive with an old hard drive from my old toshiba laptop. The system booted with the old windows 8 toshiba version. I cant find ANY up to date information on how to get the hard drive formatted to windows 10 alienware factory settings. Please help!!!! Much appreciated thanks in advance.

5 Practitioner

• 

1.5K Posts

May 5th, 2020 21:00

You would have had a recovery partition on your old drive but if it's dead then you're in trouble. If it still works then you can try to clone your drive onto a new one or there could be a way to copy your recovery file over to a USB. I'm not sure if it's possible though. Other than an Alienware logo while loading there isn't much point to having an Alienware system image.

The easiest thing to do would be to download Windows onto a USB using the Microsoft Media Creation Tool and do a clean Windows 10 installation on a nice new SSD. You'd just have to save any data you want to keep on an external drive and then bring it all back over to the new drive after the installation. 

No Events found!