Start a Conversation

Unsolved

S

2 Posts

November 7th, 2019 01:00

17 R4, battery or motherboard issue

Hey, so i recieved my alienware 17 R4 almost 2 years ago as a christmas gift. A little over a year of ownership, my charger broke. At the time i didn't have the money to buy a new charger and part of my work required me to use my laptop. All i could do was use a different charger for a few months that was lower power than what i required and for a different type of dell computer. I was still able to power on my computer and use it. It just charged slowly. (yes.. i know that was a mistake and why i have issues with my computer now). Eventually it wouldn't charge at all But by then I was able to order a new charger through dell. It is the correct power. But after i started to use it, it still said it wouldn't read my ac adapter. It wouldn't charge still. I tried talking with dell support but they really couldn't tell me what was wrong. Just its either my battery or my motherboard. Now i didn't and honestly still don't have the money to send it for repairs. Eventually it would start to turn off by itself and slowly over time would start doing it more and more frequently.. I was concerned but again, couldn't afford to do anything. I tried searching the internet for answers and came up empty handed. And tonight, my computer won't turn on for more than maybe 15-20 seconds. It will turn off, back on, then turn off again. And as far as i know, it just keeps doing that. But after it turns off a second time i just get frustrated and leave it off. I've tried the whole unplugging the battery and adapter and holding down the power button. It didn't change anything. I'm lost. I don't know what to do anymore. Can someone please help me. If not with how to fix this then at least tell me what the issue is so that i can try to find a way to fix it. Any help is really appreciated

9 Legend

• 

12.2K Posts

November 7th, 2019 04:00

If you have a genuine Dell adapter and the laptop does not recognize the adapter, then only 2 explanations come to mind. Either the DC jack on the laptop has a bent or broken centre pin or the motherboard has a problem. Are you able to use another Dell adapter to confirm that yours is working? If you cannot get the system to stay on then running diagnostics is not possible (diagnostics would show problems with the battery or adapter). When you tried the reset did you hold down the power button for 30 seconds? It does not sound like the battery but after 2 years it is possible the battery needs replacement. Battery life is generally 2-4 years or 1000 recharge cycles. But Dell also lists life as 18 months to 2 years at which time battery run time will be noticeably reduced.

2 Posts

November 7th, 2019 09:00

Unfortunately i dont have another dell on hand anymore since i moved away from my mother. So that i can't check. But hovering over the battery icon, it showed its plugged in. Just not charging. And i believe i did it for 30 seconds. I plan on checking it again today and ill set an actual timer to be safe. Ill also try to look at my DC jack when i have a moment

No Events found!