Start a Conversation

Unsolved

D

16 Posts

March 12th, 2019 06:00

17 R4, memory issue?

I came home Sunday to a locked up laptop. I powered down and restarted and it went directly into DELL DIAG. First run NO PROBLEMS FOUND. Rebooted, starting repair mode, rebooted immediately back into DELL diag. This time memory failed. Called support, gave them the info and ordered replacement memory under my warranty. I decided last night to pull one memory module to see if I could get it up and running (16GB of memory total). Out comes one 8GB module, same issue. Okay, swap the memory, same issue.

I've been a computer tech for 27 years so unless BOTH memory modules suddenly went bad, I'm not convinced the memory is the issue. I think the M.2 module is bad honestly but I re-ran the DELL diag and HDD's pass. Does the DELL diag even check the M.2? The replacement memory comes in today so I'll know for certain but it's my experience its EXTREMELY rare both memory modules would suddenly go out. Laptop sits on a desk so nothing odd about it's environment.

Any other Alienware 17 R4 owners out there experience this same issue?

3 Apprentice

• 

4.4K Posts

March 12th, 2019 10:00

Hi @Damian45,

Yes, the PSA checks the M2. If this is not a memory issue, it is more likely to be the motherboard.

Check the replacement memory and if the issue persists, contact the person in charge of your case for further assistance. 

No Events found!