Start a Conversation

Unsolved

B

5 Posts

March 23rd, 2019 15:00

17 R4, needs more storage for boot drive

Hello!  

My R4 laptop keeps giving me a warning that the 128gb boot drive is too low on storage to update.  I've tried disc cleanup and removing all non-essential programs and have relocated all documents and other saved files to the D drive and external drives but I still have under 10gb of storage left.  I'd like to upgrade to the biggest drive I can afford so that this won't keep happening but I don't really know how to go about swapping out a boot drive without having to do a full clean install.  Can someone tell me first what drives and sizes are recommended/available (including the largest it can handle), and more importantly, point me somewhere that'll hold my hand in a very non-technical way to upgrading a windows boot drive like this?  Is it doable for a newbie or is it better that I just pay a tech?  

I'd also like to know what the max storage drive potential this laptop can handle.  I currently have the stock 1 TB drive but it's also running a bit low on space and I'd like to put something much larger in if I could.  Any suggestions as to what larger capacity drives I should look in to?  

Many thanks in advance...

March 24th, 2019 02:00

@Bones3010 wrote:

Hello!  

My R4 laptop keeps giving me a warning that the 128gb boot drive is too low on storage to update.  I've tried disc cleanup and removing all non-essential programs and have relocated all documents and other saved files to the D drive and external drives but I still have under 10gb of storage left.  I'd like to upgrade to the biggest drive I can afford so that this won't keep happening but I don't really know how to go about swapping out a boot drive without having to do a full clean install.  Can someone tell me first what drives and sizes are recommended/available (including the largest it can handle), and more importantly, point me somewhere that'll hold my hand in a very non-technical way to upgrading a windows boot drive like this?  Is it doable for a newbie or is it better that I just pay a tech?  

I'd also like to know what the max storage drive potential this laptop can handle.  I currently have the stock 1 TB drive but it's also running a bit low on space and I'd like to put something much larger in if I could.  Any suggestions as to what larger capacity drives I should look in to?  

Many thanks in advance...

Have you tried running disc clean up and then selected Clean up system files? I was able to free up almost 40GB of past windows files for my 15 R3 with a 128GB SSD. As far as size, Recommend anything 250GB and above. Its easy to redo the c drive.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XUrKTeVveQs

5 Posts

March 24th, 2019 09:00

Thanks for the reply!

Yes, I've tried cleaning up system files and you're right; it did open up a lot of space initially, but I'm not seeing the ability to save anything significant this time around.  

Thanks for the link.  I'll check it out. ...One thing I did find was the Alienware page on Youtube and the tutorials on upgrades.  I noticed on one of them that it appears that there appear to be two other open spaces on the R4's for additional SSD drives.  I'm wondering if I should just invest in a couple of those and copy the C drive over to one of them and set that larger one as the boot drive from the BIOS.  

No Events found!