Start a Conversation

Unsolved

D

4 Posts

April 28th, 2020 14:00

17 R5, AGA, RTX 2070, error

Have a 17 R5 with a GTX 1060 and recently bought the AGA (Alienware Graphics Amplifier) and an RTX 2070, after a little bit of troubleshooting I got it up and running. The issue I am having is when I take the laptop off the GA. I shut down the laptop completely, then disconnect the GA but then when it starts up it is using the intel gpu and the device manager shows an error on the nvidia 1060 gpu. This is what the device manager says, 

This device is not working properly because Windows cannot load the drivers required for this device. (Code 31)

The I/O device is configured incorrectly or the configuration parameters to the driver are incorrect.

I've been able to get it to work again but I have to uninstall/re-install the 1060 in the device manager it then says I must restart, which after the reboot fixes the 1060.

I believe this must be a bug of some kind, I would think I should be able to shutdown and disconnect the GA with no problem.

9 Legend

• 

14K Posts

@darkdragone  try disabling Fast Start as described in this guide.  When Fast Startup is enabled, choosing to shut down actually hibernates the Windows kernel.  It doesn't hibernate the entire session as occurs with "real" hibernation, but hibernating the kernel can be a problem if your hardware environment will be different in certain ways when the system starts back up.  If you disable Fast Startup, then the kernel will NOT be hibernated, so it will start from scratch when you power your system back on rather than trying to resume from a kernel that was hibernated while the AGA was still attached.

Thank you for the suggestion, unfortunately I had already had that disabled. I work in Desktop Support in my company and we had issues with that "feature" on our machine so I had disabled it on mine before even getting the GA. Mainly disabled it on mine because I had a pcie ssd as my boot drive so I didnt feel I needed that, especially since yes it can cause issues if the hardware changes between boots.

No Events found!