Solved!

Go to Solution

1 Rookie

• 

50 Posts

August 29th, 2020 11:00

17 R5, BIOS 1.11.0, no undervolting

Hello,

I just recently updated the BIOS from 1.8.1 to the latest 1.11.0 (August 26th 2020).

I have Throttlestop configured to undervolt my i7 8750h for the perpose of keeping my temps bellow 90c.

Since, I've installed BIOS Update 1.11.0 my Throttlestop configuration does not work anymore and the option

to undervolt et reduce CPU frequency are grayed out ! So now my laptop is running to 96c just by running Cinebench R20!

Is there away to downgrade back to BIOS 1.8.1?

DELL DID NOT MENTION THAT IT WOULD BLOCKED OUT UNDERVOLTING AND REDUCING FREQUENCY. 

I DO NOT WANT TO FRIED MY LAPTOP. 

7 Technologist

• 

6.1K Posts

August 29th, 2020 22:00

Hi @BurakYasar  internet research reveals inability to rollback Dell BIOS version is not a new problem. Old BIOS version may have better performance and power usage. Dell has blocked BIOS version rollback on some laptop products because Dell will not allow users to rollback to an older BIOS version which has Intel Security Advisory problems. Rollback to older Dell BIOS versions may show a red message "BIOS Update blocked due to unsupported downgrade".

7 Technologist

• 

6.1K Posts

August 29th, 2020 12:00

Hi @Lunetrix  try "Downgrading the System BIOS on a Dell System" process Here

My Question: What happened to the AWCC FX tab, did it stop working?

1 Rookie

• 

50 Posts

August 29th, 2020 12:00

Thank you for the link. 

AWCC is on the latest version available and nothing changed to it. Since the i7 8750h is the locked version (not the HK varisnt) it doesn't have access to the options in FX and that's why I use Throttolestop to have access to offset and cpu frequency limiter.

I saw other posts having the same problem with Dell G7 laptops with i7 9750h.

Some tried défaut reset bios with latest bios version and seems to fix the problem. 

And some had to downgrade bios + reset to défaut settings and fix problem. 

I'll try both, but hopefully I don't have to downgrade cause I'm afraid to brick my bios... 

11 Posts

August 29th, 2020 13:00

After the latest BIOS update (1.11.0) undervolting is disabled. Without undervolting, my system is constantly thermal throttling (since i bought the laptop).  With undervolting my temps are not even reaching 85 degrees Celcius at full load (Cinebench). So i have to undervolt my CPU. 

Using BIOS 1.11.0 is not an option for me. But I cant downgrade since it is not allowed. I tried every method but no success. Please help me with downgrading I was happy with the BIOS version 1.8.1.

bios.JPG

7 Technologist

• 

6.1K Posts

Hi @Lunetrix  this is very disappointing. Do not know why @DELL-Cares does not update the Dell webpages to enhance their customer's experience with Dell computers.  Evidently this is another Dell update that is not fit for purpose. 

I can see two downloads on the BIOS Version 1.11.0 installer webpage, a BIOS Recovery image file and a BIOS executable file. Postulate BIOS Recovery Image File prevents BIOS roll back, but there is no clarification on the BIOS v1.11.0 information webpage, Here

Now reluctant to update BIOS on our Alienware 17 R5 Laptop!

1 Rookie

• 

50 Posts

Well, I tried to downgrade back to 1.8.1

And it does not allow me : "No downgrade is allowed"

So, I'll just let my alienware fried itself? 

I'd like an output from a dell/alienware Rep for this issue please. 

1 Rookie

• 

50 Posts

August 29th, 2020 18:00

Like I mentionned the G7 Laptop have the same problem when owners updated to BIOS 1.12.x

but they are allowed to rollback BIOS to 1.9.x before the Pludervolt patch (can view thread on this link https://www.dell.com/community/Inspiron/G7-7590-Undervolting/td-p/7510980).

So why, can't Alienware model do the same with 1.11.0 and rollback to 1.8.1 @DELL-Cares ? 

The laptop cannot keep up in cooling the CPU!

And yes I researched what is Pludervolt vulnerability and it won't affect most of us
who is just gaming with the laptop and who has Windows 10 home edition so Remote desktop connection from outside won't work.

And other 3trd party software need to be granted access.

11 Posts

August 30th, 2020 08:00

This is not acceptable. Whatever the security reason is , This non-undervoltable 8750h on this laptop is more harmfull than anything. I was using  -275mV core voltage offset for nearly 2 years. Performance on heavy tasks was good  and i never had Thermal Throttling issue. My Fans were even not spinning while Internet browsing. But now fans are spinning all the time.

If I cant fix it with offical ways. I will try to remove the Bios Chip from motherboard and reflash with an EEPROM programmer if I brick it while the process no problem because it is already non usable with latest BIOS. I can buy a new laptop but never an Alienware or DELL again!

7 Technologist

• 

6.1K Posts

August 30th, 2020 09:00

Hi @BurakYasar have a look Here

If you are determined to have a play with your BIOS, look at @HGX592 Reddit information Here

7 Technologist

• 

6.1K Posts

August 30th, 2020 10:00

Hi @BurakYasar  Flashing BIOS using USB key is included on pdf page 144 of the alienware-17-r5_service-manual_en-us. Can your Alienware 17 R5 use this process?

• Follow the procedure from step 1 to step 7 in "Flashing the BIOS" (earlier text) to download the latest BIOS setup program file. (but with the old BIOS version)
  • Create a bootable USB drive. For more information see the knowledge base article SLN143196 at www.dell.com/support.
  • Copy the BIOS setup program file to the bootable USB drive.
  • Connect the bootable USB drive to the computer that needs the BIOS update . (rollback)
  • Restart the computer and press F12 when the Dell logo is displayed on the screen.

11 Posts

August 30th, 2020 10:00

Thanks @crimsom , First method is not applicable for me because I dont have "Reset to Factory Setting" option in my BIOS. There is only "Reset to Defaults" option exists.

The other method mentioned by HGX592  seemed a bit risky to me but still I will give it a try.

11 Posts

August 30th, 2020 11:00

Hi @crimsom  I already tried this method too. I prepeared the USB Stick following the instructions then pressed F12 and booted from USB but when i tried to run the bios update file from command screen i get the error at the ss below 

dos error.JPG

I also tried Bios recovery method. I converted the bios update exe to BIOS_IMG.rcv file as described at some other forum. Pressed Ctrl+Esc while powering on the computer. It entered to bios recovery mode but it didn't accept the previous version bios (SS below)

previos bios.JPG

When I try it with latest bios (1.11.0). Options at SS below becomes available. So I guess DELL restricted the BIOS downgrade with this method also

new bios.JPG

7 Technologist

• 

6.1K Posts

August 30th, 2020 12:00

Hi @BurakYasar thank you for imparting this additional information. 

Replacing 8th gen Intel Core i7-8750H with 9th gen Intel Core i7-9750H appears pointless, see Here and Here

1 Rookie

• 

50 Posts

August 31st, 2020 10:00

@BurakYasar  have you tried resetting the bios by shortening the jumper located under the ram sticks

or unpluging cmos battery and putting it back on?

I saw some people tried this and it solved undervolting

problem even with the new BIOS installed.

technically, it's the equivalent to factory reset bios.

11 Posts

August 31st, 2020 11:00

Hi @Lunetrix  I tried resetting via CLRP1 jumper  but still no luck. Then tried removing cmos battery. Both way done the resetting BIOS but still no undervolting. 

clrp1.JPG

No Events found!