Start a Conversation

Unsolved

F

3 Posts

April 25th, 2020 00:00

17 R5, cleaning behind fans

Hi, 

So, I've had my 17 R5 for about a year now and while I open the bottom panel and blast it with compressed air every few months. That isn't quite doing the trick anymore. So, I think it's time to get behind the fans and clean the dust clogging up the heatsink. I've watched some videos online about this, and this is where my concerns come in. Am I right in thinking that getting behind the fans involves removing the entire heatsink? If so, does that mean I'll need to clean and repaste the cpu and gpu? Considering how important it is to clean gaming laptops (more so than for desktops), in my opinion, this is a really poor design.

April 25th, 2020 10:00

So, whoever moderates these forums, has gone out of their way to add "in my opinion" to my post. I did not write "in my opinion".

Further to that, you went out of your way to make that change in my post, but couldn't even offer any response to the question itself? 

Perhaps Dell should invest more resources in actually responding to people's questions and less time editing people's posts to suit their agenda. 

April 25th, 2020 10:00

Furthermore, your editing of my post has removed paragraph formatting. Now it looks like 1 lump of text. 

22 Posts

July 25th, 2020 08:00

such a bad design the old model was so easy this is so hard it about 30 screws and removing the heat sink no keen on doing that ..and what normal person is going to do that with confidence  

5 Practitioner

• 

3.1K Posts

July 25th, 2020 12:00

Get yourself some better temps with all this:

Thermal pads:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00UYTTMNI?tag=duckduckgo-ipad-20&linkCode=osi&th=1&psc=1

thermal paste:

https://www.amazon.com/Pasta-térmica-para-alto-rendimiento/dp/B071K7R5PF/ref=sr_1_6?dchild=1&keywords=Server+grade+paste&qid=1595705996&sr=8-6

Then a quick note about removing the heat sink is that the fan cable is underneath the heat sink where the Motherboard is, but if you know what you’re doing you’ll be able to remove the motherboard as well.

make sure to wear gloves and place yourself on a wooden smooth surface to prevent static discharge. Make sure the computer is completely off and unplugged with all your accessories unplugged as well. Then you can begin the disassembly process.

No Events found!