Vipsas
1 Copper

17 R5, keyboard problem

Hello, 

I have just received my laptop from Dell and it appears to have some issues related to keyboard.

When I boot the pc while it has been in an ambient temperature (cold start) the keyboard appears to perform normally. However after the system heats up to normal working temperatures the keyboard key presses start registering multiple imputs i.e. when i press leter "e" it registers as "gye91"  other keys have similar issues, but not all of them. 

Since I was able to pinpoint that the issue is replicatable at tempreture increase I conclude that this is deffinetly a hardware issue. However does anybody know where exactly this defect could be located? I have my suspicions that this may be related to keyboard controller chip doings its own thing under heat. Does anybody know whether keyboard controler chip on this laptop is separate or integrated into motherboard? 

0 Kudos
4 Replies

Re: Alienware r5 17 keyboard problem

Hi @Vipsas,

Send me a private message with the Service Tag so I can review your case.

Alienware Arena

Alienware-Eimy
Dell | Alienware Technical Support
#IWork4Dell
Opening your case does not void your warranty! Check out Alienware Artificial Intelligence
I can't always reply to PM's, if you need extra assistance visit: YouTube Logo Facebook Logo Twitter Logo

0 Kudos
Vipsas
1 Copper

Sorry for a bit of a late response. I contacted tech support and one of their technicians came over today to my place. He replaced the keyboard, remarking on the fact that the connectors were not in prestine condition. 

So far the device works fine.

0 Kudos

Ok great!

Alienware Arena

Alienware-Eimy
Dell | Alienware Technical Support
#IWork4Dell
Opening your case does not void your warranty! Check out Alienware Artificial Intelligence
I can't always reply to PM's, if you need extra assistance visit: YouTube Logo Facebook Logo Twitter Logo

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Dustin Tran
1 Copper

Hi I have the same problem where pressing e becomes gye91 and u becomes ju, Is it a hardware related problem or software? what can i do if my guarantee expired?

0 Kudos