Start a Conversation

Unsolved

Closed

1 Message

October 4th, 2018 17:00

17 R5, left USB port connection is bad

It has been about a month since I purchased my Alienware 17 R5 laptop and the left USB port has been having issues, which have gotten worse the past week.  Even slight movement will disconnect a USB drive or gamepad, which makes long file transfers a real pain since if it gets interrupted I have to restart all over again.  Any clues as to what might be causing this?

5 Posts

November 13th, 2018 15:00

Hello,

my 17R5 has the same problem.

USB2.0 devices sometimes work, but 3.0 devices seem to reset the connection.

Already asked Support, but got no solution.

Was it a driver problem? Please share your answer.

Thank you.

1 Message

April 4th, 2019 08:00

ive got the same problem, did you get a resolution?

3 Apprentice

• 

4.4K Posts

April 5th, 2019 14:00

Hi @EvilDrNo

Please give us a better explanation of what's your issue and what troubleshooting steps have you tried so far.

6 Posts

April 15th, 2019 03:00

Hello there, Here's the problem I have, whenever I connect any usb device like a mouse and keyboard, they work great, but as soon as I connect an external hard drive and start copying files, or sometimes even just browsing through the files, the mouse and keyboard start to lag terribly, and sometimes it would disconnect some or all the usb devices and reconnect them again! I googled this alot, and found so many articles online regarding this issue and how to fix it by changing some settings in Windows 10. But unfortunately, that didn't solve the problem, so I started to think that it's a hardware issue. I'm not sure what the problem is, and I would really appreciate it if you at least point me to the right direction. Thanks,

7 Technologist

• 

4.4K Posts

April 15th, 2019 22:00

Hi,

Thanks for explaining that. Does this only happen when using an external hard drive or does it also occur with a USB flash drive (copying files to a USB drive)? Also, do themouse/keyboard need to be plugged in at the same time for the problem to occur?

6 Posts

April 26th, 2019 17:00

The 17 R5 is limited with only 2 USB ports, one on the left, and one on the right. I connect a mouse on the right, and the external drive or USB flash drive on the left. Whenever I connect the external drive or flash, the mouse lags, it slows down as if the system is about to crash! The same thing happens if I connect a USB keyboard. The (built-in) keyboard and touchpad on the laptop itself work great all the time, only the external devices connected via USB that have this problem. I was so hyped and happy when I got this laptop about 2 months ago, due to the fact that Alienware is one of the best, but I am disappointed, I didn't care about the lack of ports and thought that I might use a hub or something. I updated everything to the latest, and yet the problem remains. I have only 2 ports (3 if we count the type C) and they don't even work properly!? Is this what Alienware has to offer?! My 6 year old Toshiba Satellite has three USB-3.1/3 ports and performs flawlessly, and by that I mean, connecting all USB devices and copying from and to external drives and USB flashes while EVERYTHING is still connected including and especially the USB mouse and keyboard which are always connected via a USB hub! If you do have a solution for this then please share it with us, I for one will highly appreciate it as I already started to hate my "i9 17 R5" and hating myself for paying that much for it while I had other options which I'm sure don't have this hilariously stupid problem. It's a shame that in tons of reviews and videos on the internet that I've seen before buying this laptop, nobody mentioned this problem at all! Thanks again, and I really hope that there's a solution for this.

April 29th, 2019 13:00

Only the back USB C port is USB 3.1 which seems to work well with external SSD drives. There is also a Thunderbolt port which I assume should work with any Thunderbolt device, though I am at a loss why my LaCie rugged 2 TB external drive with USB C and Thunderbolt cables is not recognized when plugged into the Thunderbolt port? Is this an Alienware hardware/firmware issue or is it a Windows 10 driver issue? I would really like to see this port working since I deal with thousands of RAW photos each 83 MB to 153 MB in size and large video files and multiple external drives in the field and at home, and just an extra port for a hard drive would be welcome but the drive is not even recognized on the Thunderbolt Port.

(edited)

6 Posts

April 30th, 2019 00:00

Alienware-Rodrigo, 

All I'm interested in is a straight answer, and it seems that all you're interested in is to be sent private messages.

If you have a straight answer then please do share with us, I think it's safe to say that we all have the same question which is (WHAT IS WRONG WITH THE USB PORTS ON ALIENWARE 17 R5 AND HOW TO FIX IT?!).

Many of us already applied all the updates there is (Alienware, Intel, Windows/Microsoft) and checked everything including BIOS settings, and yet, those USB ports keep disconnecting, lagging...etc.

Unfortunately, I can't return or replace my laptop because I travelled to another country (a third world country that barely has electricity and internet) and I'm not going back any time soon (to the country where I got the laptop from), so I'll have to live with this **bleep** unless there's a fix that I can apply on my own like (an update, driver, changing settings...etc). And obviously at least most of us have the same issue, so COME ON!

If you can't answer the question, then please please please find somebody who can! RIGHT HERE, NOT IN PRIVATE, so everybody would know and benefit from it.

2 Posts

May 26th, 2019 12:00

So, if there any solution for usb problem?

My right usb have issue while i use 3.0 devices. It works for approx. 30 minutes and lose connection. After physical reconnection, device works till next reboot. All last updates are installed.

Same as magdfarid i get my laptop not in homeland.

3 Apprentice

• 

4.4K Posts

May 28th, 2019 07:00

Hi,

Engineering is checking this, we will post an update as soon as we can.

6 Posts

May 28th, 2019 15:00

THANK YOU! I really hope there's a solution for this as it's really frustrating.

1 Message

May 30th, 2019 15:00

My right USB port on my brand new 17R5 has been having issues as well. My devices are no longer working on it. I keep getting that they are unrecognizable.... I am extremely disappointed... Please help me resolve this issue ASAP.

2 Posts

June 11th, 2019 02:00

Anyone can tell, got any solution of problem?

1 Message

August 10th, 2019 12:00

Alienware,  Please post resolution to USB problem.   Thought this issue was fixed with the recent build?  USB port on the left side has just bricked a Major Device in my Studio.

Please assist...   And there is truly no need to do this in Private

Thanks

3 Posts

February 5th, 2020 09:00

I have the same issue and when i contact dell they said they will replace the motherboard. Then i knew its a refurbished motherboard i refused they told me you have to accept it or we wont fix it for you and we will close the case.so i had to accept it. And i regret that After wasting 3 hours of my time the technician working on replacing my motherboard the refurbished motherboard had exact the same problem and it was even worth. So they offered me to wait another week and they send me.another refurbished one. Accept it or we wont fix it for you. Dell technical/ customer support is the worst and they dont even know how to deal or respect a customer 

No Events found!