Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

November 30th, 2020 15:00

17 R5, no longer functions after replacing the cooling fans

I recently replaced the fans on my alienware, but when i put it all back together, it would not turn on even with the power cable connected, im wondering if i broke it, i ensured all cables and ribbons were connected and i am at a loss, its a good laptop and i dont want to give up on it. Thanks in advance!

7 Technologist

• 

6.1K Posts

November 30th, 2020 20:00

Hi @skarrj2013  replacing the fans is a major disassembly / re-assembly undertaking because they are located deep within the 17 R5. It is easy to have missed something during re-assembly. You have answered your own question having discovered that 17 R5 shows no signs of life. There is nothing else that you can do other than take it carefully apart again and try and locate the problem. YouTube has good videos and watching these before undertaking disassembly / re-assembly is recommended. Perhaps watching one of these videos might trigger recollection of your disassembly / re-assembly process. It is difficult for user to user help to advocate a different remedy when system is not showing any signs of life.

5 Practitioner

• 

1.5K Posts

November 30th, 2020 17:00

Did you disconnect the adapter and battery before switching the fans? If you didn't then you may have shorted something on the board. 

Are there any signs of life or is it completely dead? Any beep codes or lights flashing?

I would check all the connections and ribbon cables again especially whichever one controls the power button. Make sure none of the ribbon cable pins have been broken.

You can also try a power drain. Remove the adapter and disconnect the battery. Hold the power button down for 30-60 seconds. Plug the adapter back in and test. 

5 Practitioner

• 

3.1K Posts

December 1st, 2020 06:00

Hopefully if you do get another laptop of any brand inspect the service manual and wear proper grounding wrist band so you don't shock it when servicing. 

5 Practitioner

• 

3.1K Posts

December 2nd, 2020 05:00

Hopefully this fixes this.

No Events found!